Hot Keys for entering donations

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
arnellro

Hot Keys for entering donations

Post by arnellro »

I was Ward Finance Clerk a couple of years ago and there were some "hot keys" for moving the curser around the "entering donation screen" (instead of having to use the mouse). I was sustained again in November but have not been able to find the list on-line. I had a list when I had the calling before, but would like to get the list again because I cannot remember what they were.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Hot Keys for entering donations

Post by russellhltn »

Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Raimo

Post by Raimo »

Thanks so much for the link to the hot-key list.
In the old FIS one real handy time saving feature was that when you tabbed from the donation column to the column where you record the check amount, it defaulted the total donation amount into the check amount field, and being that the vast majority of the donations are made by check in our unit, it would be real handy if there was a hot key that would populate that total forward into the check field. Does anyone know if this is hot key exists, if not, would it be an easy feature for the MLS programming gurus to incorporate?

Thanks,
Raimo
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Raimo wrote:if not, would it be an easy feature for the MLS programming gurus to incorporate?
Handy, yes. But it seems to me to make it easier to make an error. By forcing the number to be entered again, it can be compared.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

The trend in MLS changes has, in my opinion, been a movement away from speed and convenience. I disagree with the idea that shortcuts will lead to more errors, since you have to count everything "by hand" anyway and (by policy if not universal practice) you have two people working on every step of computer input too. But I'm not driving the changes in MLS. They seem to be driven by a "need" to imitate professional accounting practices (which seems like overkill sometimes). For example, entering each check number used to be optional. I guess some banks need this but I've actually seen the tellers at our local bank count a ward deposit and they didn't refer to the printout that shows all check numbers.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mrrad wrote:The trend in MLS changes has, in my opinion, been a movement away from speed and convenience.
Remember that MLS is used throughout the world. For example, in some areas, donor checks are processed electronically, so the check number is needed for that function.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

mrrad wrote:For example, entering each check number used to be optional. I guess some banks need this but I've actually seen the tellers at our local bank count a ward deposit and they didn't refer to the printout that shows all check numbers.
It depends on how the deposit is handled, as well as what the church's arrangement with the bank is. But the printout that shows the check numbers can be a valuable asset when a donation doesn't balance at the bank (say someone mistyped a check amount for $69 instead of $96).

Return to “Local Unit Finance”