Wireless Microphones

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
gregcamie

Wireless Microphones

Post by gregcamie »

It seems there has been an increase in demand for the wireless microphones in the wards. Interestingly they usually need both a hand held and a lavalier system. To protect the wireless systems I leave them hidden in the stake office. I am slowly starting to trust the members and leaving more equipment in the libraries. My question is if there is a wireless system that has both lapel and hand held that the church recommends. Audio-technical has some but they appear very expensive. Perhaps it would be better to just buy them separate. Your thoughts...
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wls_s ... index.html
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Wireless Microphones

Post by jdlessley »

Check with your FM Group through your physical facilities representative (an assignment for a high councilor). They have catalogs and usually get discounts. They also are responsible for these types of furnishings for the meetinghouses.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've seen wireless mic "packs" that will allow the connection of different types of mics (like lavalier or headset), but nothing that would convert to a handheld.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

We have an Audio Technica series 2000 system, which I believe was provided by facilities and was the standard recommended unit. It initially came with just a lavalier, but we purchased the matching handheld mic for it as well. (You can only use one at a time.) The case had slots for both.

It is actually one of the more reasonably-priced professional quality systems and I've been pleased with it. I would hesitate to get anything less.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Yes, receivers can be used with any compatible microphone. I thought the OP was looking for a single transmitter that did both handheld and something else.

As for wireless, you get what you pay for. I know someone who got a Nandy for their production. They'd have odd sounds in the middle of the show. Not sure where it was coming from, but I'm guessing the receivers where having trouble dealing with some random signals in the area.

We've use an Audio Technica that was provided by FM. Never a problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sgcurtis

Post by sgcurtis »

We've had similar experiences, both with the increase in requests and the concerns about lost equipment. We have had a body pack and lav wireless mic disappear when given to trusted individuals. Twice.

One solution we were using was a wired lav mic setup -- it was nice for Sunday School in the chapel or Cultural Hall. I don't have the model handy, but it was essentially a lav mic into a mic pre-amp with an XLR connecter. Instead of the wireless body pack, the preamp plugs into a standard XLR cable. In addition to not worrying about batteries and the expensive body pack transmitter (and proximity to the receiver), it was easier to let the members use. Unfortunately, that unit also disappeared.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sgcurtis wrote:We've had similar experiences, both with the increase in requests and the concerns about lost equipment. We have had a body pack and lav wireless mic disappear when given to trusted individuals. Twice.
With the receiver?

sgcurtis

Post by sgcurtis »

No. We don't ever give the members the receiver.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

gregcamie wrote:It seems there has been an increase in demand for the wireless microphones in the wards.
This I think is the largest challenge of technology. What is it we really need? I don't ever remember anyone screaming for an tablet PC, until after apple introduced it to the world, and now everyone needs one.

Sorry the comment really is on a larger societal trend in general than just wireless microphones in LDS meetinghouses.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The only "demand" I have seen for wireless microphones is from visiting AAS and GAs during stake conference. Nobody in our stake ever asks for them. Most folks don't realize that our FM has six of them to loan out, usually for stake conferences.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”