trying to add restriction

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
slmoyer

trying to add restriction

Post by slmoyer »

When I try to add a restriction the calendar "thinks" for about one second then does nothing. I'm unable to add the restriction I want.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: trying to add restriction

Post by russellhltn »

Is it a repeating restriction? I'd try putting in a single instance and then edit it to make it repeating.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
slmoyer

Post by slmoyer »

It is a repeating restriction. I did put in one day only and it worked. As I looked forward on the calendar I noticed one of the days already had an event on it which I think prevented me from doing the repeating restriction. Thanks for your help!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

slmoyer wrote:As I looked forward on the calendar I noticed one of the days already had an event on it which I think prevented me from doing the repeating restriction.
That shouldn't stop it. "Conflicting" restrictions can be placed on top of events.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
slmoyer

Post by slmoyer »

I tried doing the repeating restriction and it didn't work again. What should I try next?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What end date did you put on it? There's a two-year limit.

It's also possible that it's trying to go on top of something that's affecting it. It should be able to go on top of an event or another restriction, but perhaps there's something odd about whatever it's trying to go on top of.

slmoyer

Post by slmoyer »

The restriction is for less than one year (the same calendar year, 2014).

The event on the calendar is a stake event, October 14 and 15. They put those as the start and end dates and then selected "All day event" under the event details section. That may be what is messing things up. Usually when I do repeating events I use the same date as the start and end dates, then put in the repeating information. I don't use different dates as they did. Any thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's possible.

If your theory is accurate, then it appears there's no need for the restriction on that particular day. So I'd do two repeating restrictions - one from now until October 13th and one from Oct 16th to the end of the year.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

slmoyer wrote:The event on the calendar is a stake event, October 14 and 15. They put those as the start and end dates and then selected "All day event" under the event details section. That may be what is messing things up. Usually when I do repeating events I use the same date as the start and end dates, then put in the repeating information. I don't use different dates as they did. Any thoughts?
Specifying a different start and end date means you are specifying an event that lasts two days. You didn't mention what the repeating rule is, but if you're trying to repeat a 2-day event every day, it's going to conflict with itself (the second day of the first instance conflicts with the first day of the second instance, etc.)

Although a 2-day repeating event could be useful in some obscure scenarios, it's probably not what you want. It's generally better to specify a 1-day event and then set up the repeating rule as desired.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Specifying a different start and end date means you are specifying an event that lasts two days.
Right. It's a two-day "all day" event.

I don't think it's repeating. Unless I'm reading it wrong, he's describing the event that seems to be blocking his repeating restriction.

Return to “Calendar”