lds account sign in for private web site

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
timothynicholas

lds account sign in for private web site

Post by timothynicholas »

I was wondering if its possible to use the lds sign in for a private web site. I have seen it done elsrwhere. My code is classic asp.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: lds account sign in for private web site

Post by jdlessley »

No. The LDS Account API is only available for official Church projects and applications.
timothynicholas wrote:I have seen it done elsrwhere.
Where have you seen this done?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
timothynicholas

Okay thanks, question amswered. Yes i tried looking it up. Ithought i saw it done on a web site but I must be mistaken.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you see that, I would report that. There are ways of doing it and the church would no doubt be concerned about anyone who does so.

The only sites that should ask for your LDS Account should be church sites as verified by checking the domain registration.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
timothynicholas

There was an app called ward tools which got the data somehow and it wasnt official lds.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

timothynicholas wrote:There was an app called ward tools which got the data somehow and it wasnt official lds.
Operative word: was. The church requested that it be shut down.

But you never know when someone else might, even with the best of intentions, do something similar.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

timothynicholas wrote:There was an app called ward tools which got the data somehow and it wasnt official lds.
Ward Tools got its data by exporting from MLS, which required someone with the necessary permissions in MLS.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:
Ward Tools got its data by exporting from MLS, which required someone with the necessary permissions in MLS.
There was one that got its data by logging into your account and scraping the data from the web page. I'm not sure if that was Ward Tools or not.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:There was one that got its data by logging into your account and scraping the data from the web page. I'm not sure if that was Ward Tools or not.
One app that did screen scraping was discussed in an older topic starting here.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

aebrown wrote:
russellhltn wrote:There was one that got its data by logging into your account and scraping the data from the web page. I'm not sure if that was Ward Tools or not.
One app that did screen scraping was discussed in an older topic starting here.
That's right. That other app did, for a time about four years ago, interpose its server between the user and the login page at lds.org. But AFAIK, that app was shut down long ago.

For the record, Ward Tools never did any such thing. It was populated entirely by local exports from MLS -- which, then as now, required adminstrative permissions under control of local priesthood leaders to be generated.

Return to “Church Account”