Membership Status

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
showseason

Membership Status

Post by showseason »

A member of my ward has asked if I can find out if her father was indeed excommunicated. She thought he had but her mother says not. This members record shows her father with no member number listed. Suggestions on how to direct her?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Membership Status

Post by aebrown »

showseason wrote:A member of my ward has asked if I can find out if her father was indeed excommunicated. She thought he had but her mother says not. This members record shows her father with no member number listed. Suggestions on how to direct her?
I don't think she has any right to that private information. She could call the confidential membership records office, but I'm confident they won't tell her.
showseason

Post by showseason »

I was wondering the same thing. She is new member and starting work on family tree. Main concern is if her mother was still sealed to her father. I'm thinking her mom could check with her ward clerk to see what her record indicates.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

showseason wrote:I was wondering the same thing. She is new member and starting work on family tree. Main concern is if her mother was still sealed to her father. I'm thinking her mom could check with her ward clerk to see what her record indicates.
Read Handbook 1: 3.6.1: "Effects of Excommunication or Name Removal". Unless the mother is considering remarrying, I don't see how that's anyone's concern.

If her parents are deceased, then that's a different story. But in that case, those questions need to be directed to the Family History side of the church. Odds are FamilySearch would be able to give some indication.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

She should visit with the bishop and he can review the information in Handbook 1 3.6.1 with her. The mother could also check her Individual Ordinance Summary, but I would start with the Handbook in this situation and then check the IOS.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

showseason wrote:She is new member and starting work on family tree.
A better understanding of the situation and how she wants to use this information would help.

If it has to do with the living or ordinances that involve the living, the Handbook would be the staring point. If everyone involved is dead, the Handbook is likely to be silent - the authority is with the Family History department and their published polices which are quite different.

It's an interesting little duality that sometimes trips people up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”