Church Employee
Church Employee

Lesson Ordering Issues Help

Post by jeffevannelson »

If you have a lesson Ordering issue,
1) Please click Insert missing lessons
2) Insert Specfic Lessons
3) Select lesson one on start date

The other option is to simply recreate the class.

We had a ordering problem on some of the new manuals that were given to us at the end of last year.

Please Let us know if you have issues so we can resolve them.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Re: Lesson Ordering Issues Help

Post by kisaac »

jeffevannelson wrote:If you have a lesson Ordering issue,
1) Please click Insert missing lessons
2) Insert Specfic Lessons
3) Select lesson one on start date

The other option is to simply recreate the class.
Thanks, jeffevannelson.
Of the two options, it seems that perhaps the first option might preserve some of the work leaders have done, if you've added instructors and "other" lessons (TFOT, Presidency lessons, etc,) before it was scrambled, and seems to be the thing to try first. The second option is to start all over again....
alan.richardson

Post by alan.richardson »

Discussion with our Bishopric indicated that the Wiki for Lesson Schedules was not up-to-date, i.e. that the stake leadership can and had directed the change in order (although I haven't found anyone who knows of this). Seeing that our reordering seems similar to others, I'm inclined to believe that we should put the lessons back to the normal order of things, but am hesitant to do so if this was indeed a directed action (at the stake level). Can someone validate that the wiki is still correct -- that the stake leaders can only view their unit's schedule and cannot do a global change? Thanks.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

alan.richardson wrote:Discussion with our Bishopric indicated that the Wiki for Lesson Schedules was not up-to-date, i.e. that the stake leadership can and had directed the change in order (although I haven't found anyone who knows of this). Seeing that our reordering seems similar to others, I'm inclined to believe that we should put the lessons back to the normal order of things, but am hesitant to do so if this was indeed a directed action (at the stake level). Can someone validate that the wiki is still correct -- that the stake leaders can only view their unit's schedule and cannot do a global change? Thanks.
Stake leaders cannot change things globally for all units in the stake. However, a stake leader could change things for their own ward. So if you have a stake leader (Stake Presidency, clerks and exec. sec) in your ward then it is possible they made the change. But it seems unlikely they would have done that without letting you know.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

alan.richardson wrote:Can someone validate that the wiki is still correct -- that the stake leaders can only view their unit's schedule and cannot do a global change? Thanks.
The wiki (help files) are correct in the stake's abilities, but are incorrect in the handling of "missing lessons:" This could account for somebody saying the help files were incorrect. However, for your direct question, eblood66 is correct that the wiki (help files) are still correct about the stake's abilities- They are limited to modifying only the ward in which they reside, as eblood66 details.

The help files are not updated as of today, as I noted in this post: Re: Lesson Schedules 2.1.4 Released. The help files don't mention the newer ability to "reorder" or "add missing lessons" when an event is added AFTER the lesson schedules module was completed:
The newer ability to "insert missing lessons" makes this statement incorrect, as you can now add the missing lesson easily.
edited for better understanding by kisaac 0/09/14
gsgiauque

Post by gsgiauque »

I am my ward's "webmaster." (I could use some training, though.)
I refer to the most recent post, in which I can see:
If you want the lesson sequence to be postponed on days when there are events, you have to add the events before you add the class.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. . . but I just would like a bit of clarification.
At this site, https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/les ... edules.htm
I read (reed) that if I create an event, i.e., ward conference, *after* having created (through the default function) the lesson schedule for the entire year, the lessons will *not* be re-ordered sequentially, but *rather* a given lesson will simply be skipped. I understand that.
. . . So I now have three choices: (1) Let things stand. Perhaps we can catch-up on the missed lessons in the month of December. (2), re-enter all (all!) the lessons by hand (I really do *not* want to do that!); (3) Re-create the classes and insert the ward conference (along with the other events I have already identified). Unfortunately, that could be a huge amount of work too, because the youth and the Relief Society have already populated their classes with much of their specific information. That could be even worse than option (2). In fact, option 2 is hardly even an option.
. . . My bishop does not yet understand that this problem exists. Rather than request guidance from him, I really prefer receiving guidance from your office, because you are more knowledgeable about what the best solution is.
. . . I am afraid that I know the answer already. . . use option no. 1.
. . . I recognize and understand that a "workaround" might be forthcoming soon. But that might not be available for several weeks or months. So what should I use until that workaround is available? As suggested above, it looks like option 1 is the least difficult to implement. Thanks
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

gsgiauque wrote:I am my ward's "webmaster." (I could use some training, though.)
I refer to the most recent post, in which I can see:
If you want the lesson sequence to be postponed on days when there are events, you have to add the events before you add the class.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. . . but I just would like a bit of clarification.
That statement (and unfortunately the help system) are out-of-date. There is another option now. After you add the event you can go to the class (in the Administration section) and click on the link called Insert missing lessons just above the list of lessons. This will insert the missing lesson and push all the lessons after it back as necessary to make room.
gsgiauque

Post by gsgiauque »

I appreciate your rapid response.
However, I am still "lost." I found the button Insert missing lessons. Because I don't have much confidence in myself, I thought I would merely add "another" ward conference on the 28th of Dec. Then I planned to delete it, expecting that the name of the lesson would revert back to "Not Specified." But it did not. All I could do was insert "Teachings for Our Times," (which, of course, is an appropriate fit). But (!) if I now try to insert another Ward Conference in Dec. 14 or 21, (which I will delete and replace with the J.F.Smith Manuel lessons), will the JFS lesson #23 move automatically from Dec 14 to 21? If it does, good! But if it does, will I be able to restore it back to Dec. 14? As mentioned, I don't have much confidence, and don't want to risk it!
. .. Why am I doing this?, you ask. To find out if what I want to do in early March will not mess me up for the entire year!!!

Would you (the person who wrote a response to my question) please phone me at 801-888-5954 (Kaysville, Utah) and "walk me through the process?" Many thanks.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

gsgiauque wrote:I appreciate your rapid response.
However, I am still "lost." I found the button Insert missing lessons. Because I don't have much confidence in myself, I thought I would merely add "another" ward conference on the 28th of Dec. Then I planned to delete it, expecting that the name of the lesson would revert back to "Not Specified." But it did not. All I could do was insert "Teachings for Our Times," (which, of course, is an appropriate fit). But (!) if I now try to insert another Ward Conference in Dec. 14 or 21, (which I will delete and replace with the J.F.Smith Manuel lessons), will the JFS lesson #23 move automatically from Dec 14 to 21? If it does, good! But if it does, will I be able to restore it back to Dec. 14? As mentioned, I don't have much confidence, and don't want to risk it!
. .. Why am I doing this?, you ask. To find out if what I want to do in early March will not mess me up for the entire year!!!
When you add the event on Dec 14 it will just replace lesson #23 without any other change. If you then use 'Insert missing lessons' it will move lesson #23 to Dec 21 (and drop lesson #24 because there isn't room for it since Dec 28th is reserved for TFOT). If you then remove the event it will put lesson #23 back on Dec 14. Now both Dec 14 and 21 will have lesson #23. At this point if you use 'Insert missing lessons' again it will restore things to their original state with lesson #23 on Dec 14 and lesson #24 on Dec 21.
gsgiauque wrote:Would you (the person who wrote a response to my question) please phone me at 801-888-5954 (Kaysville, Utah) and "walk me through the process?" Many thanks.
I'm sorry. Like most people participating in the forums, I'm just another user like yourself. I'm not an official support person. When I have a break I try to answer questions but I don't have time to provide phone support.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”