Lessons in wrong order

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
susanmroy

Lessons in wrong order

Post by susanmroy »

When I originally created the class schedule for Relief Society all the lessons were in numerical order but now they are all mixed up - how do I get them back in the right order? The High Priests in our ward had originally changed their schedule and now all of them are mixed up.
Relief Society Pres
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Lessons in wrong order

Post by jdlessley »

Try clicking the "Insert missing lessons" function/link found just below the menu line. The full text of the line with the link is "Some lessons may be missing due to newly created events. Insert missing lessons" The purpose of the link is to continue the order of lessons after an event is added so that a lesson will not be replace by an event but rather postponed. But I think the function will reorder the lessons as they should be.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

susanmroy wrote:how do I get them back in the right order?[/quote
jdlessley wrote:Try clicking the "Insert missing lessons" function/link found just below the menu line.
"all mixed up?"
Just to clarify, are they scrambled like 1, 3,4,9,5,2 or just missing a lesson or two as in 1,2,3,5,6,7, 9? Knowing which could give somebody a clue as to what happened.
Using the "insert missing lessons" seems to reorder your lessons in either of the two situations above, and using "insert all missing lessons" from the two choices will re-order it from the start, in my tests. It appears while it will re-order your lessons, the instructors applied individually to lessons stay in their original order and are not "re-sequenced" along with their lessons. This may or may not have the desired effect you wish.

It seems there is some problem, however, as changes a HP group leader makes on his schedule should not have changed your RS Schedule. Those in your ward that CAN change your schedule include "bishoprics, clerks, executive secretaries, and ward website administrators." It's possible that someone was trying to do something with the ward schedules. You could also ask the ward website admin to check the set-up of the calendars. If it is hopelessly messed up, perhaps asked to have it deleted and a new one created?
rlmccall

Post by rlmccall »

I have had a similar problem in my ward. I am 1st counselor in the Bishopric. Last week I created the Gospel Doctrine calendar, added Gen & Stake Conf and clicked "insert missing lessons" and everything worked perfect.

Then I went into HP, EQ, and RS; created the calendars; and added Gen & Stake Conf. In this case I did NOT click "insert missing lessons" because our stake wants all lessons synchronized and we skip any lessons that are missed due to Conferences. Everything looked great that day (Last week).

Today I opened the lesson schedules and HP, EQ, and RS lessons are all mixed up. All three are in the order 3, 1, 2, 11, 9, 7, 4, 21, 5, 13, 14, 6, 8, 18, 22, 12, 24, 15, 19, 10, 23, 16, 17. I do not believe anyone in my ward would have made these changes. I am concerned that if I click "insert missing lessons" it will shift all lessons and we will be out-of-sync with the stake. I do not believe anyone in my ward would have made these changes.
dotPlaid

Post by dotPlaid »

I can confirm that my wife, in the RS presidency, and myself, in the EQ presidency, see this same error. She has reshuffled the lessons, but I am hesitant in case the fix (whenever it happens) messes up the order again.

It's interesting to note that the only shuffling of lessons occurred on the 2nd and 3rd Sundays, and only the lesson numbers were shuffled. The instructor information was preserved in all weeks.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Frustrating, to be sure, when "go live" is tomorrow! As you know, many of us here are users of LDS.org like yourselves, and not programmers for the church. I'm not sure where to go from here on this issue...
mevans

Post by mevans »

Our ward's schedule is messed up, too.

I wonder if the 2.2 release caused this problem?

mstauff reported a fix for the original problem on December 6. Curiously, mstauff also reported fixes for this manual in the 2.2 release, which looks like it was released on Jan 2.

What I wonder is this: If you set up the correct schedule between Dec 6 and Jan 2, is your schedule currently messed up? If you set it prior to Dec 6, is it now correct?

Since I was in the process of getting the bishopric to approve the lesson plan for RS/Priesthood, I hadn't yet updated all three organizations. What I found is that the two organizations whose schedules I had set up prior to Dec 6 and never adjusted are now correct and the one organization whose schedule I set up between Dec 6 and Jan 2 is now messed up.
janaleegriffin

Post by janaleegriffin »

Our ward Relief Society lesson schedule is messed up, too. I have checked with the ward leaders and nobody seems to know anything about it. The order of lessons currently listed matches the order mentioned by rimccall :
"Today I opened the lesson schedules and HP, EQ, and RS lessons are all mixed up. All three are in the order 3, 1, 2, 11, 9, 7, 4, 21, 5, 13, 14, 6, 8, 18, 22, 12, 24, 15, 19, 10, 23, 16, 17. I do not believe anyone in my ward would have made these changes."
The lessons seem to be ordered by subject, ie 'baptism, repentance, the Holy Ghost'...
I am first counselor in the Relief Society. Last week when I started to organize my lessons, on December 27, 2013, they were all in order numerically on lds.org. But when I opened it on January 3, 2014, the order was all messed up.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mevans wrote:What I wonder is this: If you set up the correct schedule between Dec 6 and Jan 2, is your schedule currently messed up? If you set it prior to Dec 6, is it now correct?
I think you are on to something. My guess says that is exactly what happened. Once placed on a schedule, the lessons are not ordered by lesson number, but by some type of internal numbering system. Lessons entered before or after the break were okay, but lessons entered correctly while the order was broken were moved improperly when the problem was fixed.

It would be nice to know if the problem has really been fixed. And then I suspect those who were fortunate enough to enter lessons during the dark period will have to redo their calendars.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:It would be nice to know if the problem has really been fixed.
Indeed. Until then, I think it would be a good idea to at least fix January.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”