Out of Unit Callings - YSA Bishopric

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
edwin@ecphilips.net

Out of Unit Callings - YSA Bishopric

Post by edwin@ecphilips.net »

I am reviewing our calling list - trying to get the callings listed as much as possible to be the standard MLS callings, rather than custom callings. One question I have just run into - How do you handle Individuals in the ward who are part of a YSA Bishopric? There are "Out of Unit -" Stake callings listed, but nothing to identify Out of Unit Bishops. Does anyone have any guidance? My first thought was "Shouldn't their records move the the ward in which they are serving as a Bishopric member? But technically this is still their home ward, they still get home teachers here. But then that leaves me with a custom calling. Is there another way I am not considering?

Thanks in advance for your insights.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Out of Unit Callings - YSA Bishopric

Post by jdlessley »

YSA leaders' records remain in their home ward. You are right in that there are no standard out of unit positions in MLS for those serving in YSA units. Until the system is updated with standard out of unit positions for YSA units you are forced to use custom positions in the home unit MLS.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't see a problem. The main push behind not using custom callings is that it doesn't give the member any of the electronic keys to their calling. But in the case of a member serving in the bishopric of a YSA ward, they get their electronic keys from the ward they are serving in - not from their home ward.

Go ahead and give your members who are serving in other units custom callings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
edwin@ecphilips.net

Post by edwin@ecphilips.net »

Thanks for the input. Sounds like custom calling it is then. I realize they can be used, but they do introduce problems as well - non-standardization being the obvious one, but also we have experienced those callings disappearing after an MLS update, which is inconvenient. Thanks again.

( P.S. - This is entirely a question of curiosity, so no answer is expected, but do you know how they grant Bishop access to the YSA ward if their records aren't in the YSA ward? Like I said, purely curiosity (my geek is showing) about how the system is implemented. So I am not expecting an answer.)
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

edwin@ecphilips.net wrote:Thanks for the input. Sounds like custom calling it is then. I realize they can be used, but they do introduce problems as well - non-standardization being the obvious one, but also we have experienced those callings disappearing after an MLS update, which is inconvenient. Thanks again.
I've not heard of that happening any more for custom callings than for standard callings. And most of those issues have been resolved as far as I have seen.
edwin@ecphilips.net wrote:( P.S. - This is entirely a question of curiosity, so no answer is expected, but do you know how they grant Bishop access to the YSA ward if their records aren't in the YSA ward? Like I said, purely curiosity (my geek is showing) about how the system is implemented. So I am not expecting an answer.)
The YSA unit creates an out-of-unit record in their MLS and then assigns them to the appropriate position.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

One reason the callings may disappear is if the records are moved to the YSA unit and back. When membership records leave your ward they are released from there callings by MLS and CDOL.

If you are looking at MLS for out of unit callings and members without callings then creating a custom position makes sense. If you primarily use Clerk Resources then you will see the real Bishopric calling in the out of unit section and the custom calling would be a duplicate is some senses.

Return to “Membership Help”