FHC Portal/Premium Sites on Chrome OS (Chromebook)

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
schester

FHC Portal/Premium Sites on Chrome OS (Chromebook)

Post by schester »

Our stake has expressed interest in obtaining additional computers for some of our FHC sites and I have been asked about the possibility of using Chromebooks or Chromebox. I personally would love to see this work since the management would be simplified with automatic updates and the lack of a Windows OS to worry about.

However, I don't believe that we would be able to access the premium sites (primarily Ancestry Institution) from Chrome OS because the Portal config scrip written for Windows OS wouldn't work.

Is there any way around this or does anyone have experience with this working?

I heard a rumor that access may soon be granted to Ancestry Institution for anyone with a FS/LDS Account, which would seem to solve the problem. We'd still need some Windows computers to access other sites and legacy programs, but 99% of the work is online FS and AI.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: FHC Portal/Premium Sites on Chrome OS (Chromebook)

Post by russellhltn »

I think the portal config script just enters a proxy server. So that can be dealt with. I'd be more concerned about the scripts for certificates needed to function.

I have to run off right now, but I think you need to check policy. If you're wanting to get additional computers, they should be purchased though the family history department to maintain the church standard config.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Found it: Check the computer section of FHC Operations Guide.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

russellhltn wrote:Found it: Check the computer section of FHC Operations Guide.
You don't want to try and 'get around' a solution implemented to keep the Church in compliance with licensing.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
tomj
Community Moderators

Related Question Family History . . . on Chrome OS (Chromebo

Post by tomj »

As a follow-up question, I'm currently serving as a stake executive secretary, the Presidency would like to purchase 4 auxiliary laptops to used for stake indexing trainings, Family Search, etc. These would also be available for wards to checkout for FH Sunday School courses & other activities. . . Would this fall into that category of a "Family History Center" and would it be necessary of follow the FHC Operations Guide? Seems like our PFR High Councilman suggested we should go through the FM group. Any guidance would be helpful, I don't want to take this purchase down the wrong path.

Also with the anticipated changes to indexing, do you know if Chrome OS will be supported? Chromebook would likely be a cheaper alternative to buying a windows laptop . . . for the above activities. Thoughts?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Related Question Family History . . . on Chrome OS (Chro

Post by lajackson »

tomj wrote:the Presidency would like to purchase 4 auxiliary laptops to used for stake indexing trainings, Family Search, etc. These would also be available for wards to checkout for FH Sunday School courses & other activities. . . Would this fall into that category of a "Family History Center"
No, those four laptops would not become a "Family History Center," where PCs are registered, monitored, and controlled by the Family History Department. The would simply be laptops the stake decided to purchase and put in the Library.

I would wonder about the wisdom of such a purchase. We expect class participants to bring their devices, because they will take them back home to do the work anyway.
tomj
Community Moderators

Post by tomj »

lajackson wrote: I would wonder about the wisdom of such a purchase. We expect class participants to bring their devices, because they will take them back home to do the work anyway.
I have also expressed concern, but they feel that there are still members who don't have a portable computing device, and in 2014 they really want to push indexing.

How do you feel about Chromebooks . . . Any idea whether they will work with the upcoming online version of Family Search Indexing?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

tomj wrote:How do you feel about Chromebooks . . . Any idea whether they will work with the upcoming online version of Family Search Indexing?
I have no idea. And I would certainly want to find out before I expended any significant resources and then found out they did not work.

Just pondering here. I wonder if I could convince my meetinghouse library to buy laptops so that I could check out one for the week to take it home and do indexing work. I would probably do indexing every week, just so I could keep one checked out. [grin]
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Don't laugh too hard. One of our bishops recently asked if one of his house-bound members could do indexing without a computer. When I said no, he probably wanted to ask if the ward could buy her a computer.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:Don't laugh too hard.
This precious post leaves so many openings that are so totally off topic that I must restrain myself. Thank you for a brilliant start to my new year.

Return to “Family History Centers”