Add a time/temporal dimension to scripture notes

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
pgacv2

Add a time/temporal dimension to scripture notes

Post by pgacv2 »

A suggestion that I've heard once or twice, albeit not from any official source, is that we should get a new set of scriptures (the paper ones) every so often so that our old notes and highlights don't interfere with our ability to receive new revelation. If I am reading scriptures that have thoughts and impressions written in the margins that were applicable to my life five years ago, it could distract me from pondering how those same passages could apply today.

Why not do something like that with the online scriptures? I'm sure every note we save is timestamped, so it should be possible to add an option to the online scriptures so that the user can specify which "set" of scriptures he wants to read or what time range of notes he wants to see. If the same passages have been highlighted multiple times on different dates, then the user could choose to see all of them overlaid on the page at the same time and that way see what the scripture meant to him at different times.
mevans

Re: Add a time/temporal dimension to scripture notes

Post by mevans »

You can create separate notebooks. When you mark items, you can put them in a specific notebook. I find it kind of interesting to go look at a particular notebook to see what Heavenly Father is telling me about certain things.

If they just gave us an option to show/hide contents from specific notebooks, then I believe you'd have what you want.

Even having separate notebooks, there are problems with conflicting highlights (for example, maybe I want to highlight verses 7-9 for an entry in Notebook A, but when recording thoughts in Notebook B, verses 9-10 impress me). I don't believe you can do that. I'd like it if it worked.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”