Supported devices list?

alandd

Supported devices list?

Post by alandd »

I have just been called as an Assistant Ward Clerk. A big part of my duties is to help our ward use LDS Tools and other technologies more. A significant number of our members do not have tablets and still use printed materials. Assuming we are successful in getting them interested in the digital tools, we will certainly get questions about what devices are supported. I have not found a list of supported devices in the wiki or this forum. Does such a list exist? If so, where? If not, we should make one.

Many will also be concerned about cost. Any quick recommendations for a device that balances cost and a good user experience would be appreciated!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Supported devices list?

Post by russellhltn »

alandd wrote:we will certainly get questions about what devices are supported.
Android and Apple (iOS 5 and later) are well supported. The others, not so much.

On the Android side, generic Android works well. The modified versions (such as kindle) is more prone to problems.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:On the Android side, generic Android works well. The modified versions (such as kindle) is more prone to problems.
My wife has a Kindle Fire and Gospel Libary works great -- not a single problem.
alandd

Post by alandd »

Thank you for the clarification and report.

Looking around on the web it looks like the Kindle Fire products are among the most powerful for a lower price.

Does anyone have experience with the myriad of "generic" tablets running Android? Some are relatively inexpensive and may be better for someone with a tight budget.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

alandd wrote:Does anyone have experience with the myriad of "generic" tablets running Android? Some are relatively inexpensive and may be better for someone with a tight budget.
I don't. My biggest concern with them is security updates. One thing about Android is that it's up to the maker to take the update and repackage them for the device and get it out to the consumers. This is unlike Windows where MS always did the updates and everyone had exactly the same OS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

This article is relevant: http://tech.lds.org/blog/579-lds-tools
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russellhltn wrote:
alandd wrote:Does anyone have experience with the myriad of "generic" tablets running Android? Some are relatively inexpensive and may be better for someone with a tight budget.
I don't. My biggest concern with them is security updates.
Another area of concern is that they might be running an older version of Android. So far, I've not found minimum specs for the LDS Tools/GL, etc.

alandd

Post by alandd »

sbradshaw wrote:This article is relevant: http://tech.lds.org/blog/579-lds-tools
Thank you for the reference. It is a good article, thought not specific enough for my question.

For example: "I need to buy a tablet to on which to use the LDS apps. Which one should I get for around $100?"

I am looking for a way to answer this question.
alandd

Post by alandd »

To sort-of conclude this thread, I share a link to a site that can help find suitable tablets.

http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/tablets/

The reviews on that site are very complete with valuable comments to boot. It will help me help members pick something that will work for them.

I have currently concluded that the Kindle Five HD is the best budget tablet for use of LDS apps.

Return to “Mobile Applications”