Duplicate Entries in Study Notebook

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
artoo00

Duplicate Entries in Study Notebook

Post by artoo00 »

I've had this problem a few times.

As I scroll down the list of content in a notebook, the same items show up multiple times (See attachment). If I try to delete a duplicate, it deletes the all copies of that item, including the original.

I've seen this on Firefox and Internet Explorer. This makes it very difficult to organize a study journal. Any ideas?
Attachments
duplicates.jpg
(77.72 KiB) Downloaded 966 times
artoo00

Post by artoo00 »

Might as well tell you my temporary solution in case anyone else has this problem. But it still doesn't explain why it happened in the first place, and this solution will not be fun if you have a huge notebook.

I created another notebook (called it "Test"). Then, I went to the original notebook and edited every item to include it in the "Test" notebook. I deleted the original notebook and renamed "Test" to be the name of my original notebook. Everything is good now. Luckily, I only had 11 items. I can't imagine the pain of having 50 items...or 100+.
FredHumiston

Duplicate items in notebooks

Post by FredHumiston »

I've experienced the same problem with duplicate entries, except that my notebooks have too many items to individually edit them. There are also some entries missing. I think all of the missing entries are ones that are assigned to multiple notebooks, but I haven't verified this. I wonder if this problem will ever get fixed.
tysongreen

Re: Duplicate Entries in Study Notebook

Post by tysongreen »

I am having the same exact problem. I use the notebooks to organize lesson plans and when I go to print them, all the duplicate items show up forcing me to cut and paste it into MS Word to edit for printing.

Would be nice if this could be fixed because I really enjoy preparing lessons with the aid of the notebooks.
cherylhout

Post by cherylhout »

Yes, I too have that problem. To whom do we address this issue?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

cherylhout wrote:To whom do we address this issue?
Submit feedback using the feedback link found on the LDS.org home page and any other LDS.org page with that feedback link. Do not expect to get an immediate response. When you do get a response it may be an automated response that does nothing other than acknowledge they have received your feedback. But rest assured the feedback is routed to the people who can do something about it.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jbenson

Post by jbenson »

I was trying to organize my entries within one notebook by clicking on an entry and dragging it in the order I wanted it to appear in my list. Everything was working fine, until all the sudden the entries I had dragged to a new location were being duplicated. If I tried to delete one entry, the original was also deleted. Another odd thing, is in the column "Notes & Journal" where all my Notebooks are listed, the number of entries shown in parentheses is different that what is shown in the entry list. For example, in the Notebooks column, a Notebook might show (6) entries, but in the actual entry list there is over 24. Now my notebook is a mess, organizationally, and I have lost information. I tried switching browsers to see if this would correct the problem, it did not. I see different entries listed in Safari versus in Firefox. I use an Apple computer.
PLEASE HELP!! Seems as others are having same problem. I don't know how to correct this and put back my information. Thank goodness I downloaded the content before I began deleting duplicate entries but unless this issue is addressed, my only option is to erase the entire Notebook and try to recreate it from my download. BTW, when I do download my notebook, why is the source of an article that I highlighted not downloaded too???
HokansonDM

Post by HokansonDM »

I get this almost every time I reorder a list when the list of entries is long enough that it begins to scroll. That's when the duplicates start showing up. PLEASE FIX THIS!!!! This could be an amazing feature and the fact that it has been broken for over a year is pretty atrocious.
B_Seegmiller

Post by B_Seegmiller »

I have the same problem -- duplication of entries -- it's like I touched a cursed item in the Lestrange vault at Gringott's: duplication, duplication, and duplication. At least the duplicated items don't get hot and make a lot of noise. They're not trying to kill me, but they're murdering the talk I'm trying to put together :-/

I'm going to try the remedy suggested above: copying the items to a new notebook/journal.
B_Seegmiller

Post by B_Seegmiller »

cheerioboy wrote:I'm going to try the remedy suggested above: copying the items to a new notebook/journal.
User artoo00's remedy worked fine (for some reason, every item added to the "new" entry goes to the top of the list in the notebook instead of the bottom, so going "in order" through one notebook produces an exactly reversed list in the new notebook, but reversing that wasn't too bad), but now I have new problem:

I synched my Gospel Library in my iPad so I could use it to give my talk (paperless, anyone?), but there's a new problem: everything is out of order. Is there a reparo function somewhere? (I don't have a wand)

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”