How to extract info on Ward Missionary fund donations

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
benjaminli

How to extract info on Ward Missionary fund donations

Post by benjaminli »

Dear all,

On a stake level, how would you extract info on Ward missionary funds donated on wards level? How do you find out which missionary's family/extended family is not contributing regularly?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Benjamin
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: How to extract info on Ward Missionary fund donations

Post by lajackson »

benjaminli wrote:On a stake level, how would you extract info on Ward missionary funds donated on wards level? How do you find out which missionary's family/extended family is not contributing regularly?
We extract it from the bishop or his clerk. [grin]

Actually, at the stake level, the best we have is the monthly report that shows the balance for each missionary. We do not have insight into who is actually contributing, but we can see if the balance for a certain missionary is not sufficient, and the stake president can then query the bishop about it in their next stewardship interview.

He can also make suggestions, because he is able to see the balances of the others. This is especially helpful when a missionary has returned home and there is a positive balance.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

When I was a finance clerk I took it upon myself to watch the Ward Mission fund balances very closely so that anyone (like the Bishop or the family of a missionary) could ask for information and I would have it immediately. (This was before MLS tracking was as well-developed as it is now.) The idea that someone from the stake might be secretly "looking over my shoulder" would have bothered me. Had I known I would have been like: "Relax, I got this. I'm doing my job! If you need a report just ask me."

I think the Stake President just needs to send a letter to each Bishop (or talk to them) stating that it's really important to him to know which families are having a hard time keeping up with missionary contributions. Then let the Bishops follow up. Why would that be difficult? Maybe the Stake President needs to ask for a specific follow up report a couple of times but the Bishops can be trained.
lonnie_roper

Post by lonnie_roper »

Stake "ward" Missionary fund. We have a fairly large balance in this fund in my stake. I am a new finance clerk, and my stake president wants me to get this money out where it can be used. How do I do that? Do I write a check to CAO? I am having a hard time finding an answer to this query. Also, since a Stake is not normally in the business of sending missionaries out from the unit, what is the purpose of the stake having such a fund?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I wrote a rather large check to the Office of the First Presidency back in April 2013 to send excess stake funds to the general missionary fund. But it just occurred to me that I may be able to simply transfer funds from the stake "ward missionary fund" to the general missionary fund, and those funds will be automatically swept. I wonder if that would work?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

lonnie_roper wrote:Stake "ward" Missionary fund. We have a fairly large balance in this fund in my stake. I am a new finance clerk, and my stake president wants me to get this money out where it can be used. How do I do that? Do I write a check to CAO? I am having a hard time finding an answer to this query. Also, since a Stake is not normally in the business of sending missionaries out from the unit, what is the purpose of the stake having such a fund?
The fund probably came from wards that had to much funds for the missionary's in their ward so they sent it to the stake. The first thing to do is see if there are any wards in your stake who may need funds. If not then send it to Salt Lake so they can distribute as needed
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lonnie_roper wrote:Stake "ward" Missionary fund. We have a fairly large balance in this fund in my stake. I am a new finance clerk, and my stake president wants me to get this money out where it can be used. How do I do that? Do I write a check to CAO? I am having a hard time finding an answer to this query. Also, since a Stake is not normally in the business of sending missionaries out from the unit, what is the purpose of the stake having such a fund?
You may want to read the section "Other missionary finance guidelines" found in Missionary Finances
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

drepouille wrote:But it just occurred to me that I may be able to simply transfer funds from the stake "ward missionary fund" to the general missionary fund, and those funds will be automatically swept. I wonder if that would work?
Our stake has been specifically instructed multiple times not to do that. As I understand it, the surplus ward missionary funds we periodically send into CHQ by check are not put in the exact same place as the General Missionary Fund.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Thank you for that information, Alan. On a related topic, as I have reviewed the monthly financial statements, I have noticed that some members donate to the general fund even though their ward has need of the funds. I have thought it would be a good idea to encourage members to donate to the ward fund instead of the general fund. The ward could send excess funds to the stake, and the stake could send excess funds to the general fund (the OFP).

Or maybe I am all wet, and should refrain from steadying the ark.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:I have thought it would be a good idea to encourage members to donate to the ward fund instead of the general fund. The ward could send excess funds to the stake, and the stake could send excess funds to the general fund (the OFP).
The thought is good, but as aebrown said, the Ward Missionary Fund is different from the General Missionary Fund.

A bishop in need of Ward Missionary Funds ought to speak with any members of his ward contributing to the General Missionary Fund. They may not understand the difference and might switch to the Ward Fund. (On the other hand, they may intentionally be contributing to the international mission areas of the Church.)

When a ward has excess Ward Missionary Funds, they should send them to the Stake. The stake will send excess Ward Missionary Funds to the Church, but they go to a different use than General Missionary Funds and should not be transferred into that category.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”