MLS needs to be more like lds.org

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
sbarzee1

MLS needs to be more like lds.org

Post by sbarzee1 »

I was wondering if there are plans to make more MLS options available on lds.org.

Options such as entering home and visiting teaching, updating callings, running custom reports, etc. On Sunday's the clerks office is so busy and there is not time to get all the work done with all the clerks and auxiliary presidents and secretaries. If we could have these options, it would allow us to be more efficient. When the bishop or stake president needs a report in the week, we would not have to drive long distances back to the church.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: MLS needs to be more like lds.org

Post by russellhltn »

Plans? Yes. Years ago. But where they fall on the priority list, we don't know.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
KerryBird

Post by KerryBird »

I think that if all of the clerks and leaders that wish this would happen would reply to this post, that it would move up in priority. I have been looking forward to it happening for several years now, with the same reasons you listed. Let's hope it happens soon.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kerrybird wrote:I think that if all of the clerks and leaders that wish this would happen would reply to this post, that it would move up in priority.
I disagree. There are cases where information posted here gets back to the developers, but I can't think of any cases where it's gone back to change the decision makers who set the priorities and funding for the developers.

It also assumes that the church is demand-driven. While not completely deaf to our desires, they govern based on higher principles than popular request.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
KerryBird

Post by KerryBird »

I think the desire for church leaders to spend more time at home and less time driving to a church to use MLS is a worthwhile "principle" and not merely a popular demand. I wonder how many developers would like to drive to a church and wait to use a shared PC. My vote is for it to happen soon!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kerrybird wrote:I think the desire for church leaders to spend more time at home and less time driving to a church to use MLS is a worthwhile "principle" and not merely a popular demand. I wonder how many developers would like to drive to a church and wait to use a shared PC. My vote is for it to happen soon!
The fact is that the migration of MLS features to Clerk Resources on LDS.org is an ongoing project. You can see a partial roadmap posted here. It's not something we need to encourage the Church to work on -- it is already a high priority and is being worked on continuously.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kerrybird wrote:I think the desire for church leaders to spend more time at home and less time driving to a church to use MLS is a worthwhile "principle" and not merely a popular demand. I wonder how many developers would like to drive to a church and wait to use a shared PC. My vote is for it to happen soon!
You've not addressed the resources available. Last time I talked to a developer it was two of them on seven projects.

I'm not sure what they are working on now, but I do know the church is moving toward computer access for the missionaries. And you know what kind of priority missionary work gets.

The lack of HT/VT on the web has nothing to do with the lack of asking here on the forum. That's been the #1 request since it opened.

KerryBird

Post by KerryBird »

The project map you referred to only shows up to last August, so it's not much help looking toward the future. As a current Stake Clerk I do appreciate the online functions that have made my calling better by being able to do more at home than I could 3 years ago. I'll just have to keep hoping for more improvements. I will change my vote to more developers.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

kerrybird wrote: .................... drive to a church and wait to use a shared PC.
In all my years as a Ward Clerk I have never driven to the church and had to wait to use the computer, never. You just need to go on days when no one is in the building youth nights and Sundays are the worst time.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

If you are within a reasonable drive of the church, like in Idaho. Not every one is within a 15 minute drive of the church, or 20 or 30 or 40 or even 50.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”