Sending Messages to All Adult Members

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
lewiswf1

Sending Messages to All Adult Members

Post by lewiswf1 »

As the Exec Sec I recently needed to send a message to all adult members in the ward. When I did this through leadership tools I found that 78 members came up with an error that the member has selected to not receive emails or do not have email addresses. I found many of these to be legitimate but found 25 or so that do have emails and didn't have any setting set. Can you tell me where members need to go to undo this setting so that I can email them from the church tools?

Also on a similar note, it would be nice to keep all directory information as last name first name, when emailing people it was first last which makes it hard to scroll through and know if a family is getting the message or not.

Thanks,
Wayne
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Sending Messages to All Adult Members

Post by jdlessley »

lewiswf1 wrote:I found many of these to be legitimate but found 25 or so that do have emails and didn't have any setting set.
What country are you in? In the United States and Canada, the household profile is visible by default. In the European Union, Mexico, and some other areas, the household profile is private by default. So based on your statement I am guessing you are in a country where the profile setting is private by default and the members in question have not opted in.

Not having a visibility, or privacy, setting is not possible. A visibility setting is going to be one of three settings - Stake, Ward, or Private - Leadership Only. The setting for those households or individuals where no e-mail was sent was in all likelihood "Private - Leadership Only".
lewiswf1 wrote:Can you tell me where members need to go to undo this setting so that I can email them from the church tools?
Assuming those members want to opt in, the information about editing profiles is found in the Directory Help under "Editing Your Profile".

The Exectutive Secretary is a default administrator and can assist members with their profiles. You can change the privacy settings. However you should not do this without the consent of the member.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lewiswf1

Post by lewiswf1 »

Thanks, I'll take a look there. I definitely won't change profiles unless the member allows. Thanks so much.
Wayne
lewiswf1

Post by lewiswf1 »

I went and looked around a families profile that was blocked from the email sender and I can't see anything that would prevent them from getting email. The parents profiles are all set to Ward level, I did see that their oldest child was set to Private, would that then cascade up to the parents level blocking them from receiving emails from the "All Adults" category?

Thanks,
Wayne
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lewiswf1 wrote:The parents profiles are all set to Ward level
We've seen a number of reports that having the profile set to anything but "stake" causes unexpected problems - even for ward leaders.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lewiswf1

Post by lewiswf1 »

Is there a recommendation then to set all members to "Stake" level? Can you elaborate more on what issues you've seen when set to "Ward" level? We are about to print our 2014 directory and so we'll be going through the directory and can make the change where appropriate (with permission of course). That's just a lot of work to reset everyone to the stake level.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lewiswf1 wrote:Is there a recommendation then to set all members to "Stake" level?
In the U.S. the default is "Stake", which means that members of other wards in the stake can see the adults who have their permissions set to "stake".

lewiswf1 wrote:Can you elaborate more on what issues you've seen when set to "Ward" level?
I don't remember the exact details - just that some functions leave out or error out on names that are set to "ward" level. That would be fine if the user running the function belonged to a different ward, but that's not the case.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
lewiswf1 wrote:Can you elaborate more on what issues you've seen when set to "Ward" level?
I don't remember the exact details - just that some functions leave out or error out on names that are set to "ward" level. That would be fine if the user running the function belonged to a different ward, but that's not the case.
One specific example is in the Send a Message feature. That is part of the Leader and Clerk Resources area of LDS.org, and so is not completely germane to this forum section that deals with the Directory. In the topic "Send A Message" only works for those with "Stake Visibility" (and several other topics) we see that the people with "Ward" or "Private - Leadership Only" visibility for their email addresses are omitted from the Send a Message recipient list, even though the feature is being used by leaders who specifically have the right to see information that has the "Leadership Only" privacy level.

Similarly, in the Directory, when I try look at an organization (for example, Relief Society), I do not see any email addresses for those sisters with email addresses set to "Ward" or "Private - Leadership Only". And when I use the "Email all Relief Society" link at the top of the Organization list, those email addresses are also omitted. I see only the email addresses set to "Stake", even though I am a stake clerk, and when I look at a household I can see email addresses that are set to "Ward" or "Private - Leadership Only." It makes no sense that visibility settings would be properly respected in one part of the Directory application, and misinterpreted in another.
lewiswf1

Post by lewiswf1 »

Thanks for the help, too bad this has been going on for a year or more.

Thanks,
Wayne
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

lewiswf1 wrote:We are about to print our 2014 directory and so we'll be going through the directory and can make the change where appropriate (with permission of course).
One more example of a waste of budget allowance, especially in this day of electronic devises. Just saying.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”