Correcting BIC status

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
bubbalou67

Correcting BIC status

Post by bubbalou67 »

A child is not recorded as being BIC, even though the child clearly was BIC.

Can the BIC status be amended by a clerk in MLS? If so, steps please?

TIA
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Correcting BIC status

Post by lajackson »

bubbalou67 wrote:A child is not recorded as being BIC, even though the child clearly was BIC.

Can the BIC status be amended by a clerk in MLS? If so, steps please?
I believe you are able to edit the membership record to show that. If not, send an MLS message with the request.

But before you do, make certain the child was born in the covenant. Although you say the child clearly was, I can think of a number reasons off the top of my head why a child who everyone thought was born in the covenant may not have been. I would suggest working with the parents and the bishop on this one, just to make certain.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:But before you do, make certain the child was born in the covenant. Although you say the child clearly was, I can think of a number reasons off the top of my head why a child who everyone thought was born in the covenant may not have been. I would suggest working with the parents and the bishop on this one, just to make certain.
An example would be an adoption.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bubbalou67

Post by bubbalou67 »

I already spoke with the couple. This is their natural-born child, born 2 years after they were married/sealed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bubbalou67 wrote:I already spoke with the couple. This is their natural-born child, born 2 years after they were married/sealed.
No disciplinary action in force at the time? Excommunication at the time of birth will affect the BIC status, even if they are later rebaptized. You can call LUS and verify that that's not the case. (Another reason I prefer to call and work things out over the phone.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
spencerseangeorge

Post by spencerseangeorge »

There is a member of our ward who should show as BIC. Her older sister is also in our ward and shows that she was sealed to her parents prior to this particular sister's birth. How can this be corrected? What information is needed and who do I need to contact? I have attempted to add her BIC ordinance but it gives an error stating the Born-In-Covenant information is not valid.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

spencerseangeorge wrote:There is a member of our ward who should show as BIC. Her older sister is also in our ward and shows that she was sealed to her parents prior to this particular sister's birth. How can this be corrected? What information is needed and who do I need to contact? I have attempted to add her BIC ordinance but it gives an error stating the Born-In-Covenant information is not valid.
You probably will have to contact support. I'd imagine that they'd have to look at the sealing date for the parents to verify BIC.

It is possible the younger sister is not BIC - past disciplinary action with the parents would be involved. Again, that would be something support can check into but a ward clerk would not be able to see.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”