Networking meeting house problems

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
BAwerkamp

Networking meeting house problems

Post by BAwerkamp »

Problems Networking meetinghouse and FHC

I am having a very difficult time getting our administrative (Stake & ward) PCs connect to the wireless network used by FHC.

Background: Three to four years ago the FHC was connected to DSL modem, via CISCO Pix 501 firewall, with 3 CISCO aironet access points in the building. FHC PCs with Windows 2000 were initially connected using NetGear WG311 V2 wireless adapters. Shortly thereafter, FHC wireless connectivity was replaced with a router (allowing connecting many PCs) and direct connecting to the firewall via CAT 5 cable.

The above configuration is in production today. Our admin units have Dell Optiplex GX-270’s operating under Windows XP, and latest desktop 5.5. I have tried different wireless cards with only limited success. The Netgear WG311 V2 (on approved list) will not connect. Have tried 2 different WG311 cards on different computers without success. Then tried Motorola card (no longer manufactured) which works perfectly with either Odyssey or LDS Access. Card was lent by a clerk and needs to be returned. But now I was encouraged that it worked on the GX-270.

Purchased 4 new Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter cards (CISCO), model WMP54G. Then installed Linksys drive (current ver 4.1) using Windows XP. On outside of Linksys box states it is certified for Vista, however XP driver was used. Still did not connect. Also tried installing using Linksys utility with manually configuration. I had GSD installed LDS Access to perhaps eliminate Odyssey issues. Allowed GSD to gain control of stake computer via internet. We could see the LDS Access signal but could not connect to it. When displaying available networks, it showed LDS Access as “Automatic” but would not connect. We were able to connect to a weak signal from a neighbor’s unsecured network. GSD conclusion was the Linksys card was working, but is not compatible with the church’s network (perhaps security level).

By the way, earlier in the process I used my laptop to connect to Odyssey and again later to LDS Access without any problems, thus being able to conclude that from the access points upstream everything was working.

:confused:What suggestions or actions do you recommend to get connected? What PC wireless connection should I buy????

:eek: I guess I am frustrated after spending more than 30 hours down a church trying to solve the problem. I am so close to getting it working, but I might as well be a thousand miles away.
dtaylor26-p40

MAC address

Post by dtaylor26-p40 »

If it's not a signal connectivity issue, you may want to check to see if the wireless access point is doing MAC filtering. Not having the MAC address of the card I'm trying to connect with approved on the access point I'm connecting to has usually been my problem. I don't know for sure if that applies here.
jasonhyer

Work with your FM Group to get the building wired.

Post by jasonhyer »

[quote="BAwerkamp"]:confused:What suggestions or actions do you recommend to get connected? What PC wireless connection should I buy????[/quote]
I would recommend that your talk to your FM Manager to have them wire your building from the PIX to the clerks offices so that you have a wired connection. That way you have a fixed connection for those computers and it will really cut down on your need to continually try and support the wireless connection.
tonyduf-p40

Post by tonyduf-p40 »

Blaine,

In case you missed our voice message, Paul is standing by to help with the mac addresses Each wireless card will need to be set up, as well as each laptop that is to be used. Paul can show you how to do the first one and then you can go from there if you wish.

We have been blessed an hundred fold by Heavenly Father and that is why we want to help set up wireless in our stake, as well as help others who may need Paul's advice.

Our phone number is (801)265-0692
BAwerkamp

Not MAC addressing

Post by BAwerkamp »

Talking to Paul, we basically do not think the church uses MAC filtering for their wireless meetinghouse network.

Since no one seems to have a simple answer to our problem, I will check with the FM group concerning wiring the building.
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

BAwerkamp, let me know if I can help with specs or pulling wires (if you are local.)
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
russellja-p40

Post by russellja-p40 »

From what I understand, the Netgear WG311 V2 network care (adapter) is not working on your network. Just out of curiosity, from which approved list was this network adapter on?

I have a list of compatible adapters from the knowledge base. (Taken from KB 16710)
These cards are known to work with LDS Church Wireless:

dell wireless wlan 1350 mini-pci card
dell wireless 1390 wlan mini-pci card
dell wireless 1490 dual band wlan mini-pci card
dell truemobile 1300 wlan mini-pci card
intel(r) pro/wireless 2200bg network connection
truemobile 1300 wlan mini-pci card
intel(r) pro/wireless 2200bg network connection

intel(r) pro/wireless 3945abg network connection
intel(r) pro/wireless 2915abg network connection intel(r) pro/wireless 2200bg network connection

intel(r) pro/wireless 3945abg network connection
intel(r) pro/wireless 2915abg network connection

I can see two different problems. 1) The network adapter you are using will not work with the access point. 2) You are too far away from the access point.

May I suggest two solutions? 1) Try a different adapter from this list. 2) Physically move closer to the access point with your computer.

Trying these two things will help narrow down and perhaps eliminate the problem. I am 99% sure this is not a MAC filter issue as MAC address filtering is not used by the church. If neither of these work give me an e-mail with the IP address of your pix and I'll take a look at your access points. You may have more than one access point and LDSAccess was only set up on an access point further away from you. If this is the case, we can set up LDSAccess on your other access points.

Thank you for your patience and persistence,

Joe Russell
Technician, OTSS
russellja@ldschurch.org
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

You may want to look at this link to find that you no longer need to make your clerk computers connect through Odyssey. You can call GSD and ask for the "LDS Access" profile to be pushed out to those WAP's and then connect through whatever wireless card you may have. It may take a transfer to the second level support but they should do it for you.

I apologize that this news has not made it out widely as it should.

Thanks,
Troy
BAwerkamp

Post by BAwerkamp »

After my problems, I received what I thought was an approved listing (file) of wireless adapters that were suppose to work from GSD. Joe if you like I can send you that file. Also, back 3 years ago when the FHC was first set up, the Netgear WG311 V2 network card (adapter) did work, but under Windows 2000.

(1): I have moved the computer to various locations in the building where there is a very strong signal (all 4 bars) without success.

I purchased the Linksys cards because they are owned and have the CISCO emblem (the same as the pix and access points). I just thought that would be a good choice, but obviously not. (2): I will try to purchase cards from your list.

To TSheffield: I have both Odyssey and LDSAccess installed. Both work on my Dell laptop and with the borrowed Motorola card, but not with the other 2 adapters).
schestev

Post by schestev »

BAwerkamp,
My experience with LinkSys drivers on windows is this:
Who is trying to control the connection, Windows? or LinkSys? They are both control freaks and want to run the show.

Down in the lower right corner of the screen in the tool bar will be an icon for linksys. If it is "dark", windows is in control. If it is bright green, Linksys is.

Once you know who (or what) has control, then you know where to go to configure your Security settings, which is why you can see the AP, but not connect. Like travelling to a foreign country, you can see a lot of people, but without the key (translator guide) you can not communicate and connect.

My preference at work is to disable the Linksys control and have Windows do it...not that it's any better at it, just easier to manage. One more thing, if you let Windows control it, and you know where the wireless connectivity profiles are located, I would remove any that are not relevant, even the one you have been trying to connect to and start with a fresh profile.

Maybe this is too late and you have already found your answer, or perhaps this won't apply at all in your case, but thought I'd jump in with some of the WiFi connectivity issues I've had to deal with at work.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”