Installing Windows on Dell Optiplex 740

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
tseager

Installing Windows on Dell Optiplex 740

Post by tseager »

We have a ward who's system board needs to be replaced. The machine is two years old, and our Facilities Management group is trying to find out if it can be replaced under warranty, however unlikely the prospect. The ward is one week behind in processing during tithing settlement, and cannot deposit funds.

They did give us a Dell Optiplex 740. It boots up to a menu with F1 for setup, and F5 for something else. Does not give any evidence that Windows is loaded. I found another web posting in a 3rd party forum that suggested pushing F11 or Ctrl F11 during boot to bring up the recovery partition. This sequence did nothing more than bring up the same options.

I'm traveling and don't have access, but I'm confident after several tries that the ward clerk is doing the right thing.

The machine did not come with Windows media, nor does it have an OEM Windows license sticker.

Retail Windows 8 is an option, but having used Windows 8 myself, I shudder to think how it would go over with the clerks. Either way, it appears MLS is not compatible with Windows 8. Anything we can do? We could take a gamble and purchase a Windows 7 retail copy off of eBay.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Installing Windows on Dell Optiplex 740

Post by russellhltn »

I'd go back to the FM group and tell them you need another machine or something to fix this one. An Optiplex 740 is rather old. All of them in my stake are up for replacement. Odds are, FM gave you someone else's machine that had been wiped and prepped for disposal.

No idea why there isn't a sticker, unless someone doesn't know what they are looking for or where to look.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tseager

Post by tseager »

Yes, it was another ward's machine. I figured the same, and will press them for another option. The clerk may not have found the Windows sticker, but I had him look on all sides, and he did find the sticker on the new machine. Someone may have pulled it off. But nowadays, replacing Windows is nearly as costly as the hardware.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't think the license sticker is all that important. If you can find the CDs, I think it figures itself out based on something in the motherboard. Maybe another ward has/had a 740 and has the CDs?

I can't advise spending money on a old system. (If FM wants to spend their money, that's their prerogative.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I am confused. You have an Optiplex 740 with a dead motherboard, so the FM gave you another Optiplex 740. Why can't you just swap the hard drives between the two computers?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Oh by the way. I have tried installing Windows XP on a few computers in the past month or two. Microsoft screwed up the auto-update, so you have to manually download service packs as well as the current auto-update software. It is quite frustrating.
Since XP will be dead in April 2014, Microsoft is giving us every reason to abandon XP now.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I am confused. You have an Optiplex 740 with a dead motherboard, so the FM gave you another Optiplex 740. Why can't you just swap the hard drives between the two computers?
If the ward has a two year-old computer, I doubt if it's a 740. More likely a 580 running Windows 7.

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
drepouille wrote:I am confused. You have an Optiplex 740 with a dead motherboard, so the FM gave you another Optiplex 740. Why can't you just swap the hard drives between the two computers?
If the ward has a two year-old computer, I doubt if it's a 740. More likely a 580 running Windows 7.
This post might help https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p108628
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Tinker than I am, I would either transplant the old hard drive into the new computer, or I would use a utility to copy the old hard drive to the new hard drive. If the new computer is a different model, I would hope that Windows is able to boot and perform a hardware detection to install appropriate drivers.

But that's just me. Most people wouldn't be as adventurous or stupid as I.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

drepouille wrote:Tinker than I am, I would either transplant the old hard drive into the new computer, or I would use a utility to copy the old hard drive to the new hard drive. If the new computer is a different model, I would hope that Windows is able to boot and perform a hardware detection to install appropriate drivers.

But that's just me. Most people wouldn't be as adventurous or stupid as I.
Exactly what I would consider doing. I would have suggested doing this in my earlier reply, but was just on my way out, so posted the link about imaging!

Return to “Clerk Computers”