Over 8 yrs won't add to family

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
zaneclark

Over 8 yrs won't add to family

Post by zaneclark »

I have a boy over 8 that the family wants added to their family on MLS. He is not baptised yet and I am not sure I can do this before his baptism.... Any suggestions?
benjamincarleski

Re: Over 8 yrs won't add to family

Post by benjamincarleski »

The membership clerk training section on creating records, and section 13.6.2 in Handbook 1, state that only the following should have membership records:

1.Those who have been baptized and confirmed.
2.Those under age 9 who have been blessed but not baptized.
3.Those who are not accountable because of intellectual disabilities, regardless of age.
4.Unblessed children under 8 when (a) at least one parent is a member of the Church and (b) both parents give permission for a record to be created. This includes children of converts. (If one parent does not have legal custody of the child, the permission of the parent who has custody is sufficient.)

It would appear that a child over 8 who is not baptized would not qualify, unless there was an intellectual disability that qualified under item 3.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Added how? To the parent's record showing that they have a son, that should be no problem.

If added to the family to show in the directory, then I think you'd have to do it as a non-member record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

zaneclark wrote:I have a boy over 8 that the family wants added to their family on MLS. He is not baptised yet and I am not sure I can do this before his baptism.... Any suggestions?
You can add the child to the parents record. However you can't add this individual as a child of record due to the age. The only option is to get the individual baptized at that time the missionaries will do the paper work to have a record made.

Return to “Membership Help”