Add Bishop Councilor in Student Ward that is a Elder

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ebastow

Add Bishop Councilor in Student Ward that is a Elder

Post by ebastow »

How do you add a Ward member to serve in the Bishopric in a Student Ward were he isn't ordained a High Priest?

Once we have added the position (like 1st Councilor) then try to add the member, it defaults to Office "High Priest", if we select "All" or "Elder" the only name that appears is the Bishop....
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Add Bishop Councilor in Student Ward that is a Elder

Post by russellhltn »

In cases like this, the first step I like to do is consult the Handbook to make sure what's being requested is proper. I do remember in special cases that a councilor doesn't have to be a High Priest. But for some reason, I'm not finding the section that covers the requirements.

Given what you are describing, you might verify that there are membership records in the ward who show Elder as the priesthood. I say that only in case you have a new ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ebastow

Post by ebastow »

We are a BYU Idaho Stake and in our Wards the Bishopric Councilors don't have to be made High Priests (similar to the guidelines for Young Single Adult Wards in the Handbooks.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Handbook 1:9.1.6 says that councilors of YSA wards in YSA stakes can be Elders, but I see no such exemption for married student wards.

We need to show this is permitted by the Handbook before this can be considered a MLS bug. I can't tell you the numbers of times someone has come here about a MLS bug only to find what they wanted to do wasn't allowed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ebastow

Post by ebastow »

There are 4 Married Student Stakes here at BYU Idaho and 8 to 10 Wards in each Stake. All of the Wards use a Bishop from support Stakes (that is a High Priest and then ordained as a Bishop) and then all of the councilors come from married students - none of them are made High Priest - per Church HQ... I think this may just be a computer that needs a refresh from SLC to fix the error, since we have 7 other Wards that are making the entries as I outlined... (I serve as the Stake Clerk)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The creation of a married student stake is governed by Handbook 1 9.1.8. By in large, it refers to the creation of normal wards. The only exception I can find for councilors is for YSA wards in YSA stakes.

On the other hand, there's Handbook 2: 7.1.1 "Brethren are ordained high priests when they are called to a stake presidency, high council, or bishopric or when otherwise determined by the stake president."

If you want to pursue this, I suggest you call Local Unit Support. The forums are a good place to check, but not the most reliable when it comes to having changes made in software. But be forewarned: no change will be made if it's not found to be in compliance with current policy - regardless of any historical practice. It's possible the people you talked with had a different interpretation of things then the ones doing to the software.

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

This is an issue that is fixed in MLS 3.7.0. For now, call Local Unit Support.
ebastow

Post by ebastow »

Here is what Local Unit Support had us do to work around this:

In the Bishopric Organization:
- Add them to the bishopric as a custom calling with the same calling name (so like Bishopric First Councilor, and Bishopric Second Councilor.)
-Then go to Organizations, Reports/Tools, and then pick Customs Positions Review. Click to review the custom callings and then click to match to the closest standard calling (so you would pick the Bishopric First Councilor, and Bishopric Second Councilor) and it will move the person to be in the standard calling as a councilor.

This worked.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”