Missing batch in local MLS-reconcilation issue

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
RLeifson-p40

Missing batch in local MLS-reconcilation issue

Post by RLeifson-p40 »

INFO- new user to this forum

I am a stake finance clerk, so I have worked with MLS for a few years, but I have never seen this before.
There is a unit that had a discrepency in the year end reconcilation.
The difference is that Salt Lake has one tithing batch that the local unit computer does not have.
The local unit has the paper copies and all the documentation for the batch. That, along with the fact that Salt Lake received the data, (it is on the bank statement) means the local unit must have entered and transfered the data. The only reason I can come up with as to why it is no longer on the local computer, is that it was mistakenly deleted? Do you have any other theories how this could happen?

The follow up question is how do I get the batch data back into the local MLS ?
I plan on contacting clerk support in Salt Lake, but wanted to try this forum too.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's possible that a data restore was done. Perhaps because the data got corrupted or maybe someone on the membership side made a mistake and did a restore not realizing it wiped out a week's worth of financial information in the process.

Off the top of my head, I think the process is to enter it just like you would normally, but call SLC to let them know it's a duplicate so they don't try to transfer funds that aren't there.

Now, here comes the fun part. You mentioned that this was a year-end reconciliation that turned this up. That suggests to me that a number of your donor statements printed for the 2007 tax year may be incorrect. I think you've got a problem on your hands. I'd call SLC pronto and let them know what's happing.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Now, here comes the fun part. You mentioned that this was a year-end reconciliation that turned this up. That suggests to me that a number of your donor statements printed for the 2007 tax year may be incorrect. I think you've got a problem on your hands. I'd call SLC pronto and let them know what's happing.

I agree. This is potentially a big issue.

One thing that should be checked -- there is no way the monthly bank statetement would have properly reconciled with the data in this state. Someone should look on the printed reconciliation report for that month to see if a) it was reconciled; and b) if that deposit was included.

If, as RussellHltn suggests, a data restore was done (and I agree this is the most likely explaination), was it done after the reconciliation had already been completed? If so, it seems like more than one week would have been missing, and there is an additional mystery. But if not, then it sounds like some training on proper reconciliation processes is in order.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”