Sealing to parent

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
trentelloyd

Sealing to parent

Post by trentelloyd »

I had a member tell me that our records do not show that he was sealed to his parents. I check and he is correct. He himself has not been through the temple for his own endowment, but I don't think that should matter. Is that something I can or need to add as a ward clerk, or is that something the temple should be adding?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Sealing to parent

Post by aebrown »

trentelloyd wrote:I had a member tell me that our records do not show that he was sealed to his parents. I check and he is correct. He himself has not been through the temple for his own endowment, but I don't think that should matter. Is that something I can or need to add as a ward clerk, or is that something the temple should be adding?
You have no ability to add a sealing. (UPDATE: see scgallafent's post for how to do this) If indeed he went to a temple as a child and was sealed to his parents, then that temple should have a record of the ordinance and can make sure it is properly added to his membership record.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I wonder if his sealing to parents is visible when he logs in to familysearch.org?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

aebrown wrote:You have no ability to add a sealing. If indeed he went to a temple as a child and was sealed to his parents, then that temple should have a record of the ordinance and can make sure it is properly added to his membership record.
There is an option under Ordinances in MLS to record a sealing to parents. When you select it, you get a dialog message that says that recording a sealing to parents is normally done by the temple and the change will be sent to the Temple Department for verification.

If it happened and isn't on the record, it needs to be corrected. You can either record the sealing using MLS (which should trigger the process of getting it to the Temple Department for review) or send a message using MLS with the information and the Service Center can start that process.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

For things like this, I like to call local unit support. It's possible the reason it's not on his record is that there's a duplicate record out there somewhere that's sealed to his parents.

They can also look at his parents and confirm they are sealed, etc. I just find it faster to go though all the possibilities when on the phone.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”