Declaring tithing status for members

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jasonfitt

Declaring tithing status for members

Post by jasonfitt »

I am the ward clerk and we have a new bishop and this is his first tithing settlement. He came to me Sunday and asked how is he supposed to know if a member is a full-tithe payer or part-tithe payer if they paid something but did not attend tithing settlement to declare their status? Does he guess or call those members and ask? I've asked the question before and all I've been told is "it's up the bishop" with no further explanation, but when he doesn't know I'm not sure what to tell him.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Declaring tithing status for members

Post by aebrown »

As far as I know, the instructions simply state that the bishop makes the declaration if the member does not. In some case it would certainly be obvious, but if not, he's certainly welcome to do whatever research he wants; he could call the member or just make his best inspired judgment.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

aebrown wrote:As far as I know, the instructions simply state that the bishop makes the declaration if the member does not. In some case it would certainly be obvious, but if not, he's certainly welcome to do whatever research he wants; he could call the member or just make his best inspired judgment.
He can always consult with the Stake President for further specific guidance on subjects like this where the policy says it's up to him.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Back when I was a ward clerk, what I saw was either a member made regular payments that totaled up to a believable number or they didn't. Not much in-between.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Through pray and inspiration.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:Back when I was a ward clerk, what I saw was either a member made regular payments that totaled up to a believable number or they didn't. Not much in-between.
As a ward clerk I also saw this, and I could pretty much tell you if the person was a full tithe payer or not. If you know the type of work a person does you usually have a pretty good idea of their income.

The last bishop I worked with as finance clerk would take the time to call everyone who did not attended tithing settlement.
stoutadam

Post by stoutadam »

Any guidance out there on declaring for spouses who don't have income? Or, for children who didn't have income? 10% of $0 is $0, so are they full tithe payers?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

This is not anything official, but I have been told by one bishop or another at least a few times during tithing settlement that a spouse who has no income but would pay it if she/he did is considered a full tithe payer. The reasoning is usually stated that 10% of zero is zero, and that counts as full payment of tithing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest reading the Help Center article Identifying and Recording Tithing Status.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

If there is no income then and the amount is 0 they would be a full tithe payer.

In my household, my wife and I declare together. Tithing on what little income she makes is just paid together under one of our names usually mine because I do it online. Any contributions are both of ours.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”