YSA Activities Location Change to Building in Another Stake

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
margiestroble

YSA Activities Location Change to Building in Another Stake

Post by margiestroble »

Our Stake's YSA Ward is going to be changing location for their meetings and activities from our Stake Center to a building in another Stake as of January. I am our Stake Center Building Scheduler and also the Stake Website Administrator.

I already have the whole year for 2014 activities for the YSA Ward entered onto our calendar and our stake center reserved for the activities. The change was announced last night and I've been wondering what the easiest way to do this would be and if you can shed any light on the matter, I would appreciate it.

Could I be added to the other Stake as an out of unit member or whatever it would be called and added as a building scheduler and then I could change all of the activities from our Stake Calendar to their Stake Calendar and schedule their building instead of ours? Or, could someone from the other stake be added to our stake and they could do it? Is that possible? I am assuming if this can be done, that whoever would be added to the other stake would be able to see the other stake's calendars.

If this could be done, it would save time with being able to just change building locations and change calendars from one stake to another rather than typing it all up from scratch.

Thanks for your help,
Margie
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: YSA Activities Location Change to Building in Another St

Post by russellhltn »

I'm a little confused. Is the Ward becoming a part of the other stake, or just moving locations to a building in another stake? For now, I'll assume that it's just a building move.

The agent stake of the other building will need to add the YSA Ward as a unit to their building. That will allow them to schedule their activities there as if the building was in your stake.
margiestroble wrote:I am our Stake Center Building Scheduler
That concerns me a bit, since under the new system, there is a ton of misunderstanding of what that calling entails. Note that you cannot be the building scheduler of a building in another stake. (But events can be scheduled there - which is how it's supposed to work. Events schedule the building.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

Our Stake Presidency didn't have a definite answer as to if the YSA Ward will become part of the other Stake or remain in our Stake. I am assuming we will find that out at a later date.

Members from the other Stake have been attending our YSA Ward, so it has been serving both Stakes. Our Stake Center has 4 Wards, plus the Stake that uses it, so it gets a lot of use. With moving the YSA Ward Meetings and Activities to another location, that will help with the building being so busy.

Since we have many Young Adults whose records remain in their family wards, but they attend the YSA Activities, our Stake Presidency wanted to YSA Activities to be seen by everyone and not just the members whose records were physically in the YSA Ward, so, I have the YSA Calendar as being a Stake Calendar Layer so that all who wish to see the activities can do so. I am not a member of the YSA Ward, but I do keep their calendar up to date for them so that everyone in the Stake can see their activities.

Thank you for the info about having the YSA Ward added as a unit to the other building. I will pass that info along. Once the YSA Ward has been added as a unit to the other building, could someone from the YSA Ward be able to change the already scheduled activities from the Stake Center to the other building? I am assuming that I would have to add them as a Calendar Editor to the Stake YSA Calendar since it is a Stake Calendar and not a Ward Calendar.

I thought if I could be a added temporarily as a Building Scheduler for the other Stake, or someone from the other Stake added to our Stake, that it would make it easier to change the building locations. I guess it won't work that way. Thanks for the clarification.

Thank you,
Margie
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I believe there is a calendar export function, but I do not recall if there is a calendar import function. That would be the way to go unless someone jumps in and clarifies.

I would try to export the calendar, edit any information that changes, then import it. You will also need the right people with the right authorities to do it, since it is not usual for someone in one stake to have access to calendars in another stake.
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

Thank you, lajackson. I hadn't thought of that as an option. I am not sure if that would be faster to do it that way or just clicking on each entry and updating it to the other building, as the building change would have to be done either way. But, it's another option, so thanks :)
Margie
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

margiestroble wrote:Our Stake Presidency didn't have a definite answer as to if the YSA Ward will become part of the other Stake or remain in our Stake. I am assuming we will find that out at a later date.
That's critical. I wouldn't do anything until that's settled. And I'd communicate to the SP that you must get an answer.

Note that if the ward does move to the other stake, a calendar will have to be set up in that stake. And your stake will lose access to it. So for the foreseeable future, you're going to have to continue to manage the YSA activities at the sake level but use "Other location" for events taking place there so your YSA can continue to see the activities. (I'm assuming they'll use their calendar to book the location.) Of course, they're going to have to manually update you on any changes.

If the ward stays in your stake, then I'd suggest that the other stake add your stake so you can book the location with your calendar.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I believe there is a calendar export function, but I do not recall if there is a calendar import function. That would be the way to go unless someone jumps in and clarifies.
Yes, you can export the calendar via the "Sync" URL. (Be sure to set your subscriptions first.)

But import will NOT import locations. So that would have to be fixed after import.

margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

russellhltn wrote: That's critical. I wouldn't do anything until that's settled. And I'd communicate to the SP that you must get an answer.
Thank you, I will let my Stake Presidency know what I've learned today!
russellhltn wrote: Note that if the ward does move to the other stake, a calendar will have to be set up in that stake. And your stake will lose access to it. So for the foreseeable future, you're going to have to continue to manage the YSA activities at the sake level but use "Other location" for events taking place there so your YSA can continue to see the activities. (I'm assuming they'll use their calendar to book the location.) Of course, they're going to have to manually update you on any changes.
Thanks!
russellhltn wrote: If the ward stays in your stake, then I'd suggest that the other stake add your stake so you can book the location with your calendar.
Just for clarification here, do you mean that the other stake would have to add someone from our stake as a Calendar Editor so that we could enter activities in our Stake Calendar and schedule their building? Would they have to be added as an out of unit member, or what is the proper wording?

Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it.
Margie
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

margiestroble wrote:
russellhltn wrote: If the ward stays in your stake, then I'd suggest that the other stake add your stake so you can book the location with your calendar.
Just for clarification here, do you mean that the other stake would have to add someone from our stake as a Calendar Editor so that we could enter activities in our Stake Calendar and schedule their building? Would they have to be added as an out of unit member, or what is the proper wording?
No, I'm saying that the other stake would need to add your unit to their building so that their building appears as a location that can be scheduled. See Locations and Resources Shared by Multiple Stakes for details.

My thought process is that the official calendar is the one to book the use of the building. If the ward is staying in your stake, then your stake needs to do the scheduling.

Now, it's possible that adding the ward (and not the whole stake) to the building will accomplish what's needed. I'm not sure. It would probably be preferable to add just the ward if that works.

margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

We have now learned that the YSA Ward has been moved to the other stake. They started holding their meetings there this past Sunday. They do have a YSA Center at our Stake Center and will still be having those activities at our Stake Center in the YSA Center, but they are in the process of trying to get their other activities that had been scheduled at our Stake Center, scheduled at the new building. They are asking if any activities that can't be held at the new building and were already scheduled at the Stake Center, if they could still be held at our Stake Center if need be and our Stake President is ok with that, so I have not unscheduled the building for their activities yet while we are waiting to see if their new building will be available or not.

The Stake Website Administrator for the other stake said that they could add me as an out of area member so that I can help with the calendar. Should I have them do that? I am my Stake's Website Administrator and if I am added to their Stake as a Website Administrator, will it goof anything up for my calling? If they do add me as an out of area member and as a Website Administrator, would that enable me to actually schedule the building in the other stake?

Thanks again for your help, I sure appreciate it.
Margie

Return to “Calendar”