mls clock stuck 5 hours ahead of windows time

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
geowizrd4zion

mls clock stuck 5 hours ahead of windows time

Post by geowizrd4zion »

in our remote african branch, i recently received a computer with a fresh install of windows 7 (64 bit) that has the latest version of mls installed on it (MLS Version 3.6.2 Build number: 3.6.2_22059).

on firing it up, i saw that the date and time above the mls username and password on the login screen was several days ahead of the actual date, which was correctly set in windows 7. reading some other posts in the forum, i waited several days to turn the computer on with the understanding that once the actual time "caught up" to the mls time, it would be ok.

after the date and time last shown in mls had passed, i turned the computer on and started mls, with the partial success that the date now matched. BUT the time in mls was still 5 hours ahead of the actual time, which is correctly set in windows 7.

today i spent 2 hours in 3 different calls to support in salt lake city, and we tried various procedures that they had for moving the system clock forward to match mls, closing mls, and then moving the clock back again, none of which worked. still 5 hours ahead.

so then i did a complete uninstall of mls, including all the data and installation files according to another procedure provided by slc support. after rebooting and reinstalling mls, i was at the initialization screen where you are prompted to enter the unit information, so the removal of mls had been complete. however, once at the login screen, the time was still 5 hours ahead of the actual operating system time. at this point, we seem to be out of ideas.

has anyone else experienced or resolved a similar situation?

i am reluctant to enter or update any financial or other information into mls until it can be resolved. fortunately i have a backup that was created after the most recent changes were transmitted, but before the new installation of mls was put in place.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: mls clock stuck 5 hours ahead of windows time

Post by russellhltn »

That's a weird one. You might want to verify that Windows has the correct time zone selected.

The other thought is that there is some file that did not get removed and the whole thing will resolve itself in 5 hours much like the date issue did.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
geowizrd4zion

Post by geowizrd4zion »

yes, the time zone is correct -- it is utc 0 here.
and i have already done the 5 hour wait (actually several different overnights) before posting to the forum, but to no avail.

so it kind of begs the question, why doesn't a fresh install pick up the current time from windows in the first place? what is it "remembering"? i suspect there is a registry key buried somewhere...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

geowizrd wrote:it is utc 0 here.
Has your location changed? Your forum profile says you're in Colorado, which would be -7 right now.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
geowizrd4zion

Post by geowizrd4zion »

yes, i'm on a mission from colorado to africa -- it's all legit!

unfortunately, mls thinks it is in pakistan or somewhere that is utc +5, so how to convince it otherwise?
geowizrd4zion

Post by geowizrd4zion »

ok, this issue is resolved. (or should i say, the workaround has been identified).

waiting for the computer date to catch up to the mls date was necessary and it worked.

the uninstall/reinstall and other procedures to try to fix the 5 hour time difference were not necessary (and they didn't work).

the issue turned out to be a rather quirky one. in the windows settings for the time zone, there are 4 options available that are the "same", that is they are all utc 0 (see attached pdf file). HOWEVER, if you select the one that just says "universal coordinated time" without some corresponding city names, mls comes up with the 5 hour difference (even though that selection shows the correct time on the computer).

if on the other hand you choose a different utc 0, for example casablanca, then mls starts with a time stamp that matches the system clock. end of story. i have to give credit to my local african MSR support for identifying this workaround.
Attachments
utctimezone.pdf
(49.96 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I suspect the difference between the selections has to do with daylight savings. Not sure why UTC doesn't work. I wonder if there's a glitch in the way Windows or Java deals with that particular time zone.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”