Move-In Time Incorrect on Record - time zone issue?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
mevans

Move-In Time Incorrect on Record - time zone issue?

Post by mevans »

I'm in California, USA. Our time here is currently UTC-8.

Today I moved in a record. As soon as I successfully moved in the record (via clerk.lds.org), the records moved in information said I had moved it in 16 hours ago. That's not true; I had just moved it in.

Something seems to be incorrect with the time calculation for when the record was moved in. I did this at 15:00 Pacific, which was 23:00 UTC. If anything, I would have expected to see something like it was moved in 8 hours ago.

I don't know what it's doing, but I could see some different ways it could arrive at 16 hours:
  • It's stored as UTC and there's a +/- swapped in the code somewhere, leading to an offset of 8 + 8 = 16 instead of 8-8 = 0.
  • Maybe it's counting how far 15 is from 23 instead of how far 23 is from 15. If you go forward from 23:00, it's going to take 16 hours to reach 15:00.
Does anyone else observe the time reported incorrectly on the move-in time (Look at the record in clerk.lds.org, go to the "Individual" tab and look for "Records Moved In")?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Move-In Time Incorrect on Record - time zone issue?

Post by russellhltn »

I seem to remember there's a quirk with the "moved in" date in MLS. It's actually a "move out of prior ward" date. Normally this is the same thing - unless the record came from the "address unknown" file.

Not sure if Clerk Resources has the same issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote:I seem to remember there's a quirk with the "moved in" date in MLS. It's actually a "move out of prior ward" date. Normally this is the same thing - unless the record came from the "address unknown" file.

Not sure if Clerk Resources has the same issue.
It's good to know about that, but I don't think it's the problem I saw. The record was in another unit in our stake previously. I looked at the directory before moving it to confirm her records were still in the previous ward (as opposed to them having been erroneously sent elsewhere).

If anyone has a chance to use clerk.lds.org to move in a record, take a look and see if you notice the same thing. I'd classify this as a low-priority bug, but it's still nice if anyone can confirm before I submit it to feedback.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Last week I moved in a record from an adjacent Stake and whilst checking over the information noticed the move in time indicated several hours before. This was immediately after having moved the record. Sorry I don't recall the exact amount of time shown.
williamjackson

Post by williamjackson »

I think the move time is recorded as a date only, without the time of day.

If mevans moved a record at 15:00 Pacific, that would by 16:00 Mountain. If the move was recorded as happening at 2013-12-01 00:00 (Mountain), then it would appear that the record moved 16 hours earlier than when mevans moved it.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”