Spanish characters without Spanish keyboard

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mread62358

Spanish characters without Spanish keyboard

Post by mread62358 »

What is the best way to insert Spanish (or any non-English) characters into MLS fields when using a standard English keyboard? Does MLS support Microsoft's ALT-code sequences? Our situation is a Spanish branch in an all-English stake, with English-speakers called to serve in admin roles, i.e. using MLS in English.
aclawson

Re: Spanish characters without Spanish keyboard

Post by aclawson »

I just tested and the ALT-codes worked.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

There are a variety of options:
  • Use the Alt-# codes. That requires you to know the codes, or have a table to look them up, which is rather obscure to most people. But for occasional use, if you know the codes, this is pretty simple.
  • Install a Spanish soft keyboard using Control Panel > Region and Language. This will change the location of some of the keys (so, for example, pressing the semicolon key may result in an ñ).
  • Use the Character Map application (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map). I like this choice best of all, because you can see exactly what characters you are getting. This little app lets you copy the desired character to the clipboard and then paste it into any other application.
  • Use a macro program such as AutoHotkey to map certain key combinations to characters you use often.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There are a number of ways to enter it, but I think the big question is if MLS and the backend CMIS (not to mention all the auxiliary program fed off it Directory, LDS Tools, etc.) support it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:There are a number of ways to enter it, but I think the big question is if MLS and the backend CMIS (not to mention all the auxiliary program fed off it Directory, LDS Tools, etc.) support it.
MLS and CMIS definitely support entering and storing a variety of character sets. Anyone with a test installation of MLS can easily verify that MLS supports such characters.

The original post was simply asking the best way to insert non-ASCII characters -- that post assumed (correctly) that it certainly could be done. I'm sure that any Spanish branch would have many members with such characters in member names already.
mdyoung

Post by mdyoung »

aebrown's recommendation is excellent,
Install a Spanish soft keyboard using Control Panel > Region and Language. This will change the location of some of the keys (so, for example, pressing the semicolon key may result in an ñ).
I would only add that once you install a "soft keyboard" you can also use the built in "on-screen keyboard" which will show you the character mapping for the keyboard. You can switch keyboards by pressing left alt + shift.
mread62358

Post by mread62358 »

Excellent responses from all. Thank you. I will follow-up with the clerk who was asking. (I don't have MLS access myself and am not assigned to the Spanish unit.)

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”