MLS Send/Receive freezes Windows

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
drepouille

MLS Send/Receive freezes Windows

Post by drepouille »

I visited a ward today whose Internet connect has been down for a week or so. (The DSL modem forgot all its settings.) I had told the ward leaders to use a dial-up connection to transmit their donation batch.

Before I fixed the DSL modem today, I tried to do a dial-up send/receive. The moment the connection was established and authorized, the whole computer locked up. I had to force a power-off. This happened about three times today.

This happened on a Dell Optiplex 740 running Windows XP SP3 and MLS 3.6.1. After the Internet connection was restored, we were able to do a Send/Receive, and then updated to MLS 3.6.2. I did not try a dial-up send/receive using MLS 3.6.2.

Any suggestions?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: MLS Send/Receive freezes Windows

Post by russellhltn »

I had that problem. I had to remove Sophos firewall and replace it with Windows firewall. It was also a OptiPlex 740.

Otherwise, I'd say don't ever plan on using dial-up for MLS. It doesn't work anymore.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:Otherwise, I'd say don't ever plan on using dial-up for MLS. It doesn't work anymore.
Not true. I've had units use dial-up for MLS successfully as recently as 3 weeks ago when the Internet connection was out for a Sunday. I certainly don't recommend it for the long haul, but it does work in an emergency situation in every unit I've ever worked with.

I wouldn't dispute that there are some situations where dial-up might not work, but there are certainly several where it does.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:
russellhltn wrote:Otherwise, I'd say don't ever plan on using dial-up for MLS. It doesn't work anymore.
Not true. I've had units use dial-up for MLS successfully as recently as 3 weeks ago when the Internet connection was out for a Sunday.
I do not recall which change to MLS it was, but since that installation we have not been able to use the dial-up phone line to send/receive on any machine in our stake, and we have always gotten the Internet restored before the help desk was able to solve the problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:I've had units use dial-up for MLS successfully as recently as 3 weeks ago when the Internet connection was out for a Sunday.
What model computer and what OS? I've had 4 different machines. All 740 running WinXP. CHQ never did figure it out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
aebrown wrote:I've had units use dial-up for MLS successfully as recently as 3 weeks ago when the Internet connection was out for a Sunday.
What model computer and what OS? I've had 4 different machines. All 740 running WinXP. CHQ never did figure it out.
All Optiplex 740 running WinXP.

The fact that CHQ was trying to figure it out seems to me a clue that the dial-up function is still intended to work. Otherwise, why would they waste their time? Surely they would know if dial-up had been made inoperative.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
I've had 4 different machines. All 740 running WinXP. CHQ never did figure it out.
Running WinXP, our stake Optiplex 580 and all but two of our Optiplex 740s stopped working on dial-up at the same time. The two 740s that kept working have never attempted to send/receive on high speed internet.
aebrown wrote:The fact that CHQ was trying to figure it out seems to me a clue that the dial-up function is still intended to work.
I agree. It should work and two of ours still do. There are still places that do not have Internet service.

Nevertheless, the help desk has not been able to solve the problem, and they quit working it when high speed service comes back up.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:The fact that CHQ was trying to figure it out seems to me a clue that the dial-up function is still intended to work. Otherwise, why would they waste their time? Surely they would know if dial-up had been made inoperative.
Oh, I'm sure it's intended to work. But it doesn't.

My initial experienced was cronicaled in Spontaneous reboot on send/receive.
I couldn't fix it even after nuking the drive and rebuilding the machine from scratch until I removed the Sophos firewall. The problem started when the ward connected the PC up to the internet and updated things. At that time I noticed that the stake PC could no longer do dial-up. It had broadband and had been updated as well. Since then I've had 2 ward PCs that only have dial-up fail. No idea what changed to cause the problem, (perhaps a MLS update) but the same solution worked.

Not sure what the status is, but I think the troubleshooting died with sending logs to Sophos via church support. Hopefully all the machines affected in our stake will get replaced in the next 6 months, so this problem may go away on it's own.

No idea why your machines work and ours doesn't. You might check and verify that Sophos is running. It also might have a slightly different motherboard.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:No idea why your machines work and ours doesn't. You might check and verify that Sophos is running. It also might have a slightly different motherboard.
Sophos is definitely running on all machines in my stake, including the ones that successfully dial up. I can't speak to the possibility of a different motherboard.

I just wanted to make sure that readers of this topic understand that it is definitely the case that dial-up still works with MLS in many cases, even if it doesn't work in others. That point has been made, and confirmed by lajackson. Hopefully no one will continue to make categorical statements about dial-up no longer working with MLS.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Sorry, but I just did.
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 94#p125367

I wish I could get dial-up to work as an emergency backup. I wonder if it will work when we receive new computers with Windows 7 next year. We are still using XP on Optiplex 740 computers.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”