Where to get personal ALS equipment

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
chrisde

Where to get personal ALS equipment

Post by chrisde »

I have had several people in my stake ask if it is possible to purchase their own pocket-size receiver (like a Comtek) for the hearing impaired. It seems that I have read that it is possible. How and where would I get this information and how much would this equipment cost?

Thanks,
Dan
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Where to get personal ALS equipment

Post by russellhltn »

Sure, it's possible. But they might want to re-think that when they see the price tag: B&H Photo

Or maybe they just want their own ear piece.

An alternative is to look at getting enough equipment via FM and assigning it to the members long-term.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
karenannhamilton

Post by karenannhamilton »

On the tech broadcast http://broadcast.lds.org/ICS/techtalk/2013-02-01.html at timestamp 43:55 they discuss the ALS system. They say members can purchase at a special LDS price through Comtek.com. I am looking into it. My father-in-law wants his own receiver and earbuds.
Attachments
Assistive Listening.png
PowerPoint slide from the 2013 Tech Broadcast
(173.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

Here's the thing with the COMTEK devices- They are for the most part, only tied into the Chapel sound system. In most cases the antenna for the COMTEK broadcaster is in the chapel as well or nearby, which means you walk to another part of the building, the signal will not be present, or be so poor, you wont hear it. Also- The COMTEK broadcaster is only tied into the chapel sound system. Meaning only the chapel feed will be broadcasted over it. Not the feeds in the Primary, RS, or Cultural Hall. Some members may be confused thinking that the church provided comtek device will provide audio so long as they are in a room like previously mentioned that have a microphone feed.

If they are looking for devices similar to COMTEK but for which they can use in other areas of the building, just as means of being able to hear more clearly, then here is a basic hearing aid device that I myself use. Because it is a general amplifier, it picks up all the sound so not just that of the speaker. But It works decent enough for me, as I am half deaf.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/personal-sound-amplifier
Ryan Gardner
rfsturgeon

Post by rfsturgeon »

I have been using the Comtek PR-72b and connecting to my Phonak hearing aids through Phonak Compilot II by using an audio connector (3.5m mono/stereo) to connect the PR-72b to the audio input of the Compilot II. This has worked very well. It seems that the PR-75a is replacing the PR-72b unit. When I connect the PR-75a to my Compilot II the PR-75a does not turn on. On closer inspection the 3.5 audio adapter appears slightly different than the plug on the headset, both are called a 3.5 connector. Any suggestions finding the proper connector? My hearing aids a provided by the Veterans Administration and at least two other Brothers in the Stake have the same hearing aids.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rfsturgeon wrote:When I connect the PR-75a to my Compilot II the PR-75a does not turn on. On closer inspection the 3.5 audio adapter appears slightly different than the plug on the headset, both are called a 3.5 connector.
I made a quick call to Comtek tech support. It's not the jack that turns the unit on, it's the DC resistance of the headset. Comtek headsets are less than 100 ohms. I doubt if the audio input if your hearing aid is that low.

The only suggestion that they could offer was to use a neck loop (NTC-102). That requires that your hearing aid have a T-coil and it's been activated. You may have to work with your audiologist to get that setup.

Edit: I should add that the only real reason to give up the PR-72b is because either it's not working or you have a chapel that's not on the standard frequency. The PR-72b is single channel while the PR-75a is multi-channel, so it can accommodate other frequencies due to two transmitters being close together. I don't think the church is changing the frequency band/mode that the equipment is operating on. I don't think there's any compatibility issue between old receivers and new transmitters.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jrjnewell

Post by jrjnewell »

I'm having the same issue with my Phonak compilot and the PR-75a, not working together. I saw someone in the Costco hearing aid dept in Lehi this morning and she told me the analog 3.5mm cord that I have is the issue. That I need to get one that has 3 rings, not just 2 on the end that connects to the PR-75a. I've gone to the
Comtek site and it is not helpful. I will try Best Buy.
jrjnewell

Post by jrjnewell »

I tried Best Buy and Guitar Center. Neither had that cable. Very frustrating and emails to the stake go unanswered.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jrjnewell wrote:I tried Best Buy and Guitar Center. Neither had that cable. Very frustrating and emails to the stake go unanswered.
You mean like this? You can try that, but I'm not sure as it would work. As posted up thread, your device has to present a low impedance load to the receiver to get it to turn on.

You may need to find a old-school electronics guy to set you up with the proper cord.

alanlangford

Post by alanlangford »

Personal comtek devices for LDS members order form.
https://www.betterhearingidaho.com/5583 ... 6c60065ae/

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”