Building shared between 2 stakes

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
swigginton

Building shared between 2 stakes

Post by swigginton »

One of our buildings is shared between 2 stakes. The other stake is the agent stake, and are not using the online calendar. However, the building scheduler for that building is a member of our stake. I understand the calendaring system requires the building scheduler to be from the agent stake. Is there a way to work around this? We're thinking we can use a private calendar for scheduling private events and events for the other stake (which would be scheduled through the building scheduler). We won't be able to set restrictions (ward nights, etc.). Are there other things we should do to make this work? We're trying to get the other stake to move to the online calendar, but we still have the building scheduler residency issue.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Building shared between 2 stakes

Post by russellhltn »

Sounds like a plan.

One thing to be aware of - just because the other stake doesn't use the calendar doesn't mean one of their wards won't start using it.

As long as your stake has access to that location (and not create a new location), then this should work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
swigginton

Post by swigginton »

...just because the other stake doesn't use the calendar doesn't mean one of their wards won't start using it.
Yes, that's a good point. As I understand the calendar functionality, If a ward from the other stake begins using the calendar, they would no longer go through the building scheduler, but their events would still create reservations. It should prevent conflicts, since the building scheduler would be entering the private events with location reservations. That provides a way for the other stake to migrate to the calendar at whatever pace they choose.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

swigginton wrote:As I understand the calendar functionality, If a ward from the other stake begins using the calendar, they would no longer go through the building scheduler, but their events would still create reservations.
As long as the calendar system treats "their" building as being the same as the building the scheduler is using.

I see one problem: I'm pretty sure only the agent stake can modify the rooms available for scheduling. The default isn't bad, but may not be close enough to work. As such you may have to walk someone in the other stake presidency though the steps needed to customize the building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
swigginton

Post by swigginton »

russellhltn wrote:I see one problem: I'm pretty sure only the agent stake can modify the rooms available for scheduling.
Yes, we're seeing that. Currently it's set up to reserve the entire building only. We'll be working with the other stake presidency to configure the locations.

Thanks for your help!
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Time for a serious chat between stake presidents initiated by your Stake President. Something along the lines of we will be using the online calendar to schedule the building. We will not schedule events for you stake. We cannot guarantee the building will be available for use by units in your stake unless they schedule events on the calendar. If you want help in setting up the calendar for your stake here is a contact.

At the same time a request to the area Representative asking that your stake be appointed as Agent Stake due to the other stake not wanting to use the online calendar.

Might just get the attention of someone with authority who can fix the problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:request to the area Representative asking that your stake be appointed as Agent Stake
That would solve a lot of problems.

Return to “Calendar”