Setting up New Stake Presidency in MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
nlrobinson

Setting up New Stake Presidency in MLS

Post by nlrobinson »

A week ago a new stake presidency was called for our stake. Being a relatively new stake clerk, I don't know how to set up the new stake presidency in MLS. When the visiting authority was here he indicated it would be done at CHQ. The presidency needs access to MLS to fulfill their assignments. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Setting up New Stake Presidency in MLS

Post by russellhltn »

The stake presidency is updated via the Leader and Unit Change Request. Yes, CHQ does the actual change, but they need the paperwork.

Access to MLS (the program that runs on the stake computer) is set up locally by someone with current Admin rights to MLS.

Access to the on-line tools will happen once CHQ processes the LUCR.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

nlrobinson wrote:A week ago a new stake presidency was called for our stake. Being a relatively new stake clerk, I don't know how to set up the new stake presidency in MLS. When the visiting authority was here he indicated it would be done at CHQ.
When the visiting authority returns his conference report, Headquarters will update the stake presidency. You will know this has happened when you see their names in CDOL, and that information should flow to MLS within a day or two after that.

If the visiting authority lives in Salt Lake, he usually turns in the paperwork on Monday or Tuesday, and everything is good by the end of the week. If he was an area seventy who lives elsewhere, he will have had to mail the paperwork to Salt Lake before the updating process will start.

Depending on the situation, if you have not seen an MLS update by the end of this week, I would call and inquire. (Don't forget to do a Send/Receive from time to time.)

In the meantime, I can think of only one thing a stake clerk cannot do in MLS to support the presidency. And there is a workaround even for that. Besides, it is often better if you keep them off the computer, anyway, except when a counselor is helping with a deposit. [grin]

Have them ask you what information they need and then get it for them.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

russellhltn wrote:The stake presidency is updated via the Leader and Unit Change Request. Yes, CHQ does the actual change, but they need the paperwork.
CHQ will do it from the paperwork, but the clerk can also do it via MLS under Leader and Unit Change Request. This will start the process. CHQ will then have to confirm the changes against the paperwork the visiting authority has. But if you aren't seeing the changes in CDOL then starting it in MLS will get the CHQ staff working on it and bugging the visiting authority.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote: In the meantime, I can think of only one thing a stake clerk cannot do in MLS to support the presidency. And there is a workaround even for that. Besides, it is often better if you keep them off the computer, anyway, except when a counselor is helping with a deposit. [grin]

Have them ask you what information they need and then get it for them.
But getting them in CDOL then gets them the additional details in LDS Tools and access to the online systems, including missionary applications, temple recommends, etc.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JonesRK wrote:
russellhltn wrote:The stake presidency is updated via the Leader and Unit Change Request. Yes, CHQ does the actual change, but they need the paperwork.
The clerk can also do it via MLS under Leader and Unit Change Request.
He can for clerks and the executive secretary, but the president and his counselors do not have a select button magnifying glass to find the new person. We can only change the email address and phone numbers other than the home phone.

(Unless something has changed with the latest release of MLS, or we have a corrupt copy of the program.)
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote:
JonesRK wrote:
The clerk can also do it via MLS under Leader and Unit Change Request.
He can for clerks and the executive secretary, but the president and his counselors do not have a select button magnifying glass to find the new person. We can only change the email address and phone numbers other than the home phone.

(Unless something has changed with the latest release of MLS, or we have a corrupt copy of the program.)
You must have a problem with your copy, because I see a magnifying glass.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JonesRK wrote:You must have a problem with your copy, because I see a magnifying glass.
I believe you. (Remember, we are the ones who could not get the new presidency to show up on our Lists of Officers Sustained and our new bishop information is always blank and never transmits.)

But hey, nlrobinson, if you have the magnifying glass, enter the three names. That way Hq will also know to look for the paperwork at their end.

Remember that it is in the Leader and Unit Change Request area of MLS (link usually at bottom left panel of main page), not in the regular Callings section.
nlrobinson

Post by nlrobinson »

Thank you for all of the helpful information. I'll give it a try.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”