How to print mailing labels from MLS directory

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
NormanLim

How to print mailing labels from MLS directory

Post by NormanLim »

Is there a way to print mailing labels for everyone in my ward using the mailing addresses for each family in the ward directory in MLS?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to print mailing labels from MLS directory

Post by russellhltn »

You might try Mailing labels in the wiki.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jirp

Post by jirp »

For us since I don't know if it applies everywhere. The path is Report/forms --> more --> Reports/tools --> custom reports --> Member addresses. Once you are in here then you can select print mailing labels and then select individuals who you are printing them for. The big catch with this mode in MLS is that you have to have a particular label format which is 3 x 10 label sheets and waste part of a sheet of labels each time you do it. So it is most effective for larger mailings not just to a couple of individuals. I don't know if this is standard across MLS versions.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

jirp wrote:The big catch with this mode in MLS is that you have to have a particular label format which is 3 x 10 label sheets and waste part of a sheet of labels each time you do it. So it is most effective for larger mailings not just to a couple of individuals. I don't know if this is standard across MLS versions.
With a little creativity you can print on just one label and then reuse the sheet for another one next time.

Here is how I do it. If I want to print just one label and I have used the first space on the label sheet. I just select two name the name you want to print you should select second an MLS will print the labels in the order you selected the names. Also MLS prints left to right top to bottom.

So lets say you have used five labels on the sheet. Then you select five names first, does not matter who they are, then select the name you want printed. That name should print on the label in the sixth place. Always place the label sheet in the printer tray, labels down top of sheet pointing into the printer.

It sounds crazy but it works.
jirp

Post by jirp »

Tried that but had the mailing labels miss feed going through the printer and didn't try again. So care should be used.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

jirp wrote:Tried that but had the mailing labels miss feed going through the printer and didn't try again. So care should be used.
I have never had a problem printing this way and have done it many times. Maybe the labels I'm using are of higher quality.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

You can also have great flexibility in the size and formatting of the labels if you follow the instructions in the wiki for Exporting mailing labels. Then you can use the merge features of a word processor to do anything you want with that data.
markdebry

Post by markdebry »

Is there any way to print the labels from home? Any plans?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

markdebry wrote:Is there any way to print the labels from home?
There is no mailing label print feature from the Directory or from Leader and Clerk Resources. At least not for an assistant ward clerk. There is however an Export Households feature in the Directory available to certain ward leaders that can be used to create your own mailing labels at home.
markdebry wrote:Any plans?
The Church rarely releases plans or schedules. We ususally find out about a feature when it is released.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
gurpilak

Post by gurpilak »

I agree that it would be nice to add the ability to view mailing addresses from home. For the members of our ward that must receive mail to their home addresses, the best solution that we have found is to add a second line to their home address like the following.

John Smith
123 Physical Address
Mailing: PO Box 1234
Anywhere, ST 01234

That has been the only way we have figured out how to include the mailing address to the directories so the ward members can have access to them.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”