LDS Account > Subscriptions: place to manage notifications?

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
mevans

LDS Account > Subscriptions: place to manage notifications?

Post by mevans »

We've had various discussions about people wanting to be notified about things. These may include the following:
  • LDS Account Newsletter Subscriptions (what's there now on the "old" LDS Account site)
  • Calendar events
  • Newsletter articles
  • Upcoming lessons from Lesson Schedules
What I'm wondering is instead of having each tool have its own interface for managing notifications, maybe it all belongs in the LDS Account Subscriptions area? This way I can go to one place and control what information I receive, which I think I'd prefer over going to each tool to manage notifications.

I have no idea if the Church is heading in this direction or not, but thought I'd post my thoughts here and see what people think. The "new" LDS Account page currently redirects you to the "old" LDS Account page to manage subscriptions, so maybe the Church is trying to figure out what to do here?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LDS Account > Subscriptions: place to manage notificatio

Post by russellhltn »

Can't say as I'm thrilled about the idea. While I suppose users might like a central place to manage things, the problem is that it's so tightly bound to the product that one can't be updated without updating the other. The developers are already behind on more critical features.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I think this idea makes a lot of sense!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I think the idea has merit, but only for a limited set of notifications. Specifically, I can see benefits in having one place to set simple notifications -- where all you have to specify is a simple on/off setting.

But I would strongly vote against moving calendar notifications away from the calendar application. There are so many settings, and they are intimately connected to the calendars that appear in the Calendar application. It would be a huge pain to engineer having those complex settings appear in a different web application. And I think it would be an awkward user experience to have to leave the Calendar application to change those settings.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In the case of the calendar, I think a better plan is to put a link in the LDS Account that takes you to the page where the calendar notifications are set.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Church Account”