Units scheduling a location they are assigned to

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
meyersmj

Units scheduling a location they are assigned to

Post by meyersmj »

I have units scheduling a location they are not assigned to. I thought the units could only schedule the location/building they are assigned. Is this not true? One of the wards (RS and Primary Presdents) are scheduling the Stake Center building which is not the building they are assigned to (meet in). Does the Stake Presidency need to establish guidelines to address this issue because it is causing problems?

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Units scheduling a location they are assigned to

Post by russellhltn »

meyersmj wrote:I have units scheduling a location they are not assigned to. I thought the units could only schedule the location/building they are assigned. Is this not true?
Surprise! It's true. Anyone in stake can schedule any building in the stake. But just because they can schedule the location doesn't mean that someone will a key will show up to let them in.

meyersmj wrote:Does the Stake Presidency need to establish guidelines to address this issue because it is causing problems?
Since it's causing problems - yes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

meyersmj wrote:Does the Stake Presidency need to establish guidelines to address this issue because it is causing problems?
I personally don't see a need for the Stake Presidency to establish any policy other than if the building is open then anyone in the stake should be able to schedule the building. There should not be any problems because the you cannot double book an event, so if the time slot is available why shouldn't the build be used.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:There should not be any problems because the you cannot double book an event, so if the time slot is available why shouldn't the build be used.
Who is going to open the building? Since it's one not assigned to them, it's doubtful that they have their own key.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

meyersmj wrote:I have units scheduling a location they are not assigned to. I thought the units could only schedule the location/building they are assigned. Is this not true?
Assigning a unit to a location simply means that Restrictions can be created for that unit for that location (there are additional implications for units outside the stake who use the building, but that's a different subject).

All units within a stake can schedule any location in the stake, regardless of which units are assigned to that location.

We find this functionality to be very useful in our stake; in particular, only the stake center has a baptismal font, and the WMLs and Primary presidencies in wards assigned to other buildings often need to schedule baptisms. It works great for them to be able to simply schedule the building. The stake Primary presidency has keys to the stake center and coordinates access. We have the benefit of being a very small stake geographically, so it's a very simple matter to find someone who has a key to any building.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:
Gary_Miller wrote:There should not be any problems because the you cannot double book an event, so if the time slot is available why shouldn't the build be used.
Who is going to open the building? Since it's one not assigned to them, it's doubtful that they have their own key.
You can always find someone with a key to open the building. Because our building is small with a gym we always have families scheduling weddings or family events from other wards they just call the building scheduler or get a key from someone they know so they can use the building. Often its me since I have two keys that will get you in the building. One get you in the building and the clerks office the other the building and the library. So I just give them the one for the building and the library and they bring it back when their done.

Return to “Calendar”