Where do I put $ from charitable org to my ward?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
brettnovak

Where do I put $ from charitable org to my ward?

Post by brettnovak »

One of our ward members works for a company that pays charitable donations to orgaizations where their emloyees volunteer. Where and how do I put those types of donations in?
Gary_Miller

Re: Where do I put $ from charitable org to my ward?

Post by Gary_Miller »

brettnovak wrote:One of our ward members works for a company that pays charitable donations to orgaizations where their emloyees volunteer. Where and how do I put those types of donations in?
You would record it just like any other donation under the company name. Since the donation is being done on behalf of the member I would ask the member what category they would like the funds to be donated under.
brettnovak

Post by brettnovak »

Even if the check was made out to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? Can we still deposit it, or does it have to be made out to our ward?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

brettnovak wrote:Even if the check was made out to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? Can we still deposit it, or does it have to be made out to our ward?
I would process it just like any other check.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

brettnovak wrote:Even if the check was made out to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? Can we still deposit it, or does it have to be made out to our ward?
The instructions found in the Finance/Donations/Receive Donations section of RKATS states that checks should be made payable to the ward, not to the bishop or the Church. I recommend having the member notify his company of the correct payee to use on the check.

I have deposited checks in the past with the Church as the payee and had no problems. This doesn't mean it is going to be acceptable in the future or even if the Church will accept it now.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”