Improperly Recorded Convert Baptism

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
willipa5

Improperly Recorded Convert Baptism

Post by willipa5 »

Hi,
A youth in our ward was baptized February 2013 when she was 11 years old.
The baptism was improperly recorded such that her middle name was miss-spelled and her date of birth was wrong, creating an erroneous (duplicate) record.
I deleted the erroneous record and while trying to record her baptism using her existing and correct record, the system would not let me.
As I was entering the baptism information, the system warned me that this was a convert baptism and that the mission should record it, (they tried.)
I clicked past the warning and as I was entering the baptism information, the system stopped me again saying I was creating a duplicate record.

Now what?!? Should I record the baptism by creating a duplicate record then delete the original or what? This has been an on going issues for far too long!

Thanks, in advance for any guidance provided!

Ward Clerk, Bellevue 1st Ward, Bellevue Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Improperly Recorded Convert Baptism

Post by russellhltn »

Did you try Canceling a Duplicate Membership record? If nothing else, a Special request should do the trick.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Use a Special Request. You cannot add the baptism because the member is over 8 years old. The only way you could have fixed it would have been to keep the bad record from the mission and update it, then delete the good one you had. Counter intuitive, I know. But still a system limitation.
JDCash

Post by JDCash »

Thanks guys! Your postings have solved my problems. I've just been called as clerk in our branch and we were just combined with a previously Spanish Branch and moved about to our respective branch boundaries. What a mess the membership records are in. Outdated information, incorrect info and duplicate records due to improper handling of convert baptisms of previous blessed children who were baptized over age of 9. I have one that has three records and three membership numbers. Thanks to your info I can now correct by deleting some and using special request for the others. Never been a clerk before. Makes me really appreciate those guys that served as clerk when I was a Branch president and a Bishop. Thanks again. JD Cash

Return to “Membership Help”