Member Calling History?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
kdarbys

Member Calling History?

Post by kdarbys »

Is there a way to view what a Members Callings have been in the past?

If not, is there a way to add this as a feature somewhere in MLS? There are times when this would be advantageous to Bishoprics. If there was a way to print up a report or view this in the LDS Tools app, that would be a great benefit.

Thanks for your time.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Member Calling History?

Post by russellhltn »

There is limited ability in CDOL. But that's it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kdarbys

Post by kdarbys »

I'm not asking about the CDOL. Or have I posted this question in the wrong section?

I'm not trying to see where/who members have called from the CDOL.

I'm trying to see what previous callings Members have had in the past. Right now you can look up a Members calling in MLS or in the LDS Tools app. I want to be able to see what their previous callings were.

I realize that the information for that probably isn't stored anywhere, so what I'm asking is, can it be from this time forward? Also, am I asking this question in the wrong area?

Thanks for your time.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kdarbys wrote:I'm not asking about the CDOL. Or have I posted this question in the wrong section?
The answer is - you can't. That feature is not in MLS or Tools. But in trying to address the need, we've pointed out there is limited ability in CDOL.
kdarbys wrote:I realize that the information for that probably isn't stored anywhere, so what I'm asking is, can it be from this time forward?
Not unless you store it yourself in your own application. I don't know of any way to store the history in MLS or Tools.

When the question has been raised in the past, some have suggested that the omission is deliberate. Leaders should rely on inspiration.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kdarbys wrote:I realize that the information for that probably isn't stored anywhere, so what I'm asking is, can it be from this time forward? Also, am I asking this question in the wrong area?
You are in the right place here at the Forum. If you feel strongly about this need, you may wish to send a message through MLS suggesting this be added as a new feature.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
kdarbys wrote:I'm not asking about the CDOL. Or have I posted this question in the wrong section?
The answer is - you can't. That feature is not in MLS or Tools. But in trying to address the need, we've pointed out there is limited ability in CDOL.
And I would also add that if this feature is to be implemented, CDOL is the logical place where the data would be stored. CDOL already stores all the current callings; MLS lets you see and update the callings, but CDOL is the system of record for callings. And CDOL chooses to store the history of callings for certain callings.

So it seems clear to me that CDOL is the storage mechanism for such a feature. Even if you weren't specifically asking about CDOL (the website), you really were talking about CDOL (the storage/retrieval system). It then becomes a question of how much historical calling data the Church wants to store; there are questions about the storage space that would be consumed, and also the desirability of having such data, and the benefits vs. the cost of implementing storage and retrieval. Once the data is in CDOL, then it could be made accessible to LDS Tools, Clerk Resources, and/or MLS.
dbollard99

Post by dbollard99 »

This.

Please consider keeping a record of all previous callings that a member has had on the LCR. I believe it would be helpful to see an individual's lifetime worth of callings, to see where they have served before, and maybe have that information help influence the decision of the Bishopric of what calling to give that individual. Inspiration is often received after much study and thought, and this information is pertinent to this type of decision.

If not a lifetime record of callings, at least a record of callings since that individual has moved into the ward, in order to avoid duplicating callings that a person has already served in the recent past, that a leader may potentially overlook otherwise.

I also think having this information would be interesting to an individual member, having that person be able to see the callings that they've ever had. It might inspire them to see in what capacities they have served the Lord, and may encourage them to continue to serve more valiantly in their current calling as they reflect on the past of what callings they have served in.

Just a suggestion... but one I think most members expect that this information is recorded somewhere anyway, and are often surprised to find out that their previous callings are not recorded in the long-term.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

dbollard99 wrote:Please consider keeping a record of all previous callings that a member has had on the LCR.
The decision makers for things like this do not read the forums. The best place to make this kind of suggestion is by using the Feedback link in LCR.

However, we do know that CDOL does keep a history of some callings. The CDOL developer has indicated that it may come for all callings eventually but it all depends on priorities.
hjorth1

Post by hjorth1 »

As a current ward clerk I would really like to see this infomation stored as well. Not just was the calling was but also the sustaining dates.
Example.
I just learned (probably cause I missed it or wasn't paying attention) that all the YW Advisor callings have been removed (Laurel Advisor, etc). So we now need to move those Sisters into the YW Class advisor rolls for the assigned age class (12-13 Class Advisor, etc). Without knowing the original calling date we are just using the current date.

We determined that the Sisters do not need to be re-sustained, since technically only the name of the calling changed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

hjorth1 wrote:We determined that the Sisters do not need to be re-sustained, since technically only the name of the calling changed.
If only the name changed, then I wouldn't expect the church to do an automatic release of those positions. They've renamed positions before without requiring them to be re-entered.

There may be some complications due to the movement to classes.

Return to “General Discussions”