881 Throughput

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
gregcamie

881 Throughput

Post by gregcamie »

We are looking at upgrading our internet connection. We were looking at Comcast business class 50/10 Mbps. Does anyone know what the throughput is wan to LAN for the 881w. There is no since in ordering a higher speed if the the firewall doesn't have the horsepower to take advantage of it. Our FM group advised me that the 881 is only capable of about 20 Mbps. Is this true? In one of our buildings we can have close to 200 people connected on Sundays. Obviously most our just phones not using too much bandwidth but I'm still just trying to look into the future a little bit.

Thanks
rolandc

Re: 881 Throughput

Post by rolandc »

I have had a couple on very high bandwidth service and have never seen more than 25Mbps.

There is a spec sheet floating around here that was posted some time back.

EDIT. Here is the thread.

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=15889#
Roland
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

We have an internet connection that exceeds the capability of the 881W and I can tell you that with nothing else connected, it consistently tops out right around 30 Mbs for both upload and download. I inquired about 4-5 months ago with CHQ if they had heard of any plans to make a faster firewall available, but I was told they had no intention of replacing the 881W anytime soon.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

In our Stake building we have a download speed of at least 30Mbps available from the ISP's modem. After the 881W firewall we are lucky to get anything more than 15Mbps. Even that varies considerably, usually downwards. These results are obtained during the day, when the building is unoccupied.

At the moment we aren't carrying out webcasting, but no doubt that will happen in the future.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:I can tell you that with nothing else connected, it consistently tops out right around 30 Mbs for both upload and download.
Is that the older 881W with external antennas, or the newer one with internal?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
Mikerowaved wrote:I can tell you that with nothing else connected, it consistently tops out right around 30 Mbs for both upload and download.
Is that the older 881W with external antennas, or the newer one with internal?
Older one with external aerials!
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:Is that the older 881W with external antennas, or the newer one with internal?
It's an 881W. I'm not familiar with anything newer. If the church is issuing routers without removable antennas, then they are likely issuing a different model, as everything I've found on the Cisco website says the 881W is only built one way, and that's with removable antennas.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Mikerowaved wrote:
russellhltn wrote:Is that the older 881W with external antennas, or the newer one with internal?
It's an 881W. I'm not familiar with anything newer. If the church is issuing routers without removable antennas, then they are likely issuing a different model, as everything I've found on the Cisco website says the 881W is only built one way, and that's with removable antennas.
I have personally installed the most recent 881W that came from SLC, it DOES NOT HAVE EXTERNAL ANTENNA, I promise, but it does have wireless.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

JohnShaw wrote:
Mikerowaved wrote:
I have personally installed the most recent 881W that came from SLC, it DOES NOT HAVE EXTERNAL ANTENNA, I promise, but it does have wireless.
To clarify, does it still have provision to attach external antenna or is it just the standard 881W, without the antennas supplied?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

There are no external posts for extended antenna - it is all inside with no ability to extend the antennas.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”