Using MAC's for broadcasting Stake Conference

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
jyepatton

Using MAC's for broadcasting Stake Conference

Post by jyepatton »

Just wondering if anyone is using Mac's to broadcast Stake Conference's? We had problems with lags and hangs using windows laptops and windows pc's. Wondering if there is a better solution with a Mac? We have 3 camera's in our stake center, so we'd need an app for the Mac that can support multiple cameras. Would love some suggestions. Thx
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Using MAC's for broadcasting Stake Conference

Post by lajackson »

jyepatton wrote:Just wondering if anyone is using Mac's to broadcast Stake Conference's?
I think it has more to do with the horsepower of the computer. Our STS used a Mac with a Windows partition, since we used the Church software solution which only runs on Windows. The laptop was plenty powerful. The limiting factor was the downlink capability at the receiving site.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Make sure you're uploading at a speed that the slowest site can follow.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pricer

Post by pricer »

You need 4 things that help make a successful broadcast. i5 quad core or better computer or laptop with a line in audio input. 3 Gbit/sec upload minimum at the Stake Center, 3 Gbit/sec download at the meetinghouses, turn off/disable Wi-Fi in all buildings. We have done 7 successful broadcast using a laptop and a $30.00 USB 2 video capture device. We broadcast at 1.7 Gbit upstream.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

pricer wrote:3 Gbit/sec upload minimum at the Stake Center, 3 Gbit/sec download at the meetinghouses
How does 3 Gbit/sec translate to things like 10M up/down that a cable company might advertise, for example?
pricer

Post by pricer »

10M is 10 megabit which is great and more than you need to receive a broadcast. We have 1 building with Comcast which is 20 megabit down and 5 megabit up.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

pricer wrote:You need 4 things that help make a successful broadcast. i5 quad core or better computer or laptop with a line in audio input. 3 Gbit/sec upload minimum at the Stake Center, 3 Gbit/sec download at the meetinghouses, turn off/disable Wi-Fi in all buildings. We have done 7 successful broadcast using a laptop and a $30.00 USB 2 video capture device. We broadcast at 1.7 Gbit upstream.
These numbers are megabits per second and not gigabits per second. :)
jyepatton

Post by jyepatton »

So you are saying that a Mac cannot use the church's system to broadcast stake conferences? This was my 1st Stake Conference as a tech clerk and it was horrible. It went down often, the lips never matched the sound from the speaker (like the old Godzilla movies). I also had trouble with this during the General Conference feed using windows laptops and once I hooked it up to my MacBook pro it worked great. I guess I just need to know what everyone is using, I don't want to reinvent the wheel here but I don't like having the conference be a complete disaster either. Thanks for all the help.
pricer

Post by pricer »

I don't see any problems using a Mac for broadcasts like General Conference from church headquarters. If you are receiving or broadcasting using the meetinghouse software it will require Windows. If you install Windows 7 using boot camp on your Mac you should have no problems.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I use the old webcast communicator purchased in 2009 and running Windows XP - We can barely scrape .384 uplink for our broadcasts, we use multiple cameras (at least 2), text overlays and have been successful around 25 times - not only in our stake but multi-stake events - Including Last Sunday night's multi-stake webcast of Elder Ballard.

I strongly urge you to mix the signal prior to sending it to the pc/mac for processing, and agree with a previous statement, start with a much lower upload speed.

Start small, maybe a single camera, upload low, and then build to more complex items use the resources you have and are able to use. Practice, Practice, Practice - bring in a hotspot and upload/download on your own. People with MAC's will just need to deal with the fact that most enterprises still run in a windows world, regardless of the world they'd like to see. I absolutely despise that the HD signal that my cameras produce can't be reproduced through my upload speeds and can't be seen by the other 8 meetinghouses in our stake. But, it is the world I live in. Our FMG does not see any value in providing us upgraded Internet, so we do what we can. All I can do is year after year budget for improvements that will NEVER manifest, even when they make the budget.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”