Filing finance transmission report (and others)

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ulmo

Filing finance transmission report (and others)

Post by ulmo »

I'm a new financial clerk and I've looked through some (but not all) of the training resources on the wiki so far. MLS often asks me if I want to print things related to finances, and I always say yes. In looking at the records that have been kept so far and the wiki I think/hope I'm filing everything that I should.

The one I have a question on is the Finance Transmission Report. MSL wants to print this any time we record donations as well as any time I authorize/print reimbursement checks. Both in the wiki and in our existing files I'm not seeing any of these.

Should I print these forms, and if so is it better to file them with the donations (if it's the one that prints after we transmit donations) or with the expense report (if it's the one that prints after I transmit following printing checks)?

As a side question, being new I'm not sure if there are other things that MLS has asked me if I want to print in the past, and if so where to file these. It'd be nice if there was a short list of where to file what documents somewhere in the wiki; right now it looks like that info is spread across the different topics.

thanks in advance
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Filing finance transmission report (and others)

Post by jdlessley »

ulmo wrote:Should I print these forms, and if so is it better to file them with the donations (if it's the one that prints after we transmit donations) or with the expense report (if it's the one that prints after I transmit following printing checks)?
All finance records should be kept for the retention period. In the US the retention period is the current year plus the three previous years. Transmission reports that include finance transactions are finance records and therefore should be filed. Where you file them is up to you. They are not records reviewed during an audit. As such I filed those transmission reports in a separate file from the donation batches and expense disbursements in chronological order. As an auditor I never had need to view these reports. And as a finance clerk I was never asked by an auditor for one.
ulmo wrote:As a side question, being new I'm not sure if there are other things that MLS has asked me if I want to print in the past, and if so where to file these.
This is a separate discussion topic and should be addressed in another topic thread. But before you do you may want to search for threads that discuss this. There are several in the forum.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

I have a file folder for each month inside the folder I have three addtional folders.

Donations (Month Year)
Expenses (Month Year)
Finance Transmission Reports (Month year)

Self explanatory want goes in each folder.

The Finance Transmission Report that prints for the donation batch transmission I put in the envelope with the rest of the donation batch items.

After the Finance statement is signed I just place it inside the front of the monthly folder.
ulmo

Post by ulmo »

Thanks for your responses - very helpful.

The previous finance clerk indicated that I could file things how they made sense to me, so I think I'm going to make it a practice to print everything related to finances that it gives me the option of printing, and file it all by month. Better to print and not need than to need and not have printed, come audit time :)

thanks again

Return to “Local Unit Finance”