Can an event be on multiple calendars?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
wford

Can an event be on multiple calendars?

Post by wford »

I am a stake leader. Many times we have youth events that I would like to show on both the Stake Young Men Calendar and the Stake Young Women Calendar (youth conference, combined activties, etc.) I don't want to create two events because then it will show up twice for people subscribed to both calendars. Is there a way to do this? I know I could create a Stake Combined Youth Activity Calendar, but I would rather have it just show up on both of the other ones. The automatic reminders are really nice for people and I would like anyone subscribed to either calendar to get a reminder (and see the event).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Can an event be on multiple calendars?

Post by aebrown »

The simple answer is no, an event can only be on one calendar. For the kinds of scenarios you are talking about, your options are to:
  • Create more calendars (such as a combined youth calendar)
  • Put the event on more than one calendar (but only one such event can actually schedule the building)
  • Make your calendars less granular (e.g., have just one youth calendar, rather than separate YM and YW calendars)
Alternative designs have been discussed on this forum several times, but most suggestions I've seen end up being quite complex. So you just have to pick one of the options above and live with it for now.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In our stake we've gone for the combined youth calendar. There's enough events to justify it. Placing the event on two calendars risks that it will be out of sync or that someone will fail to schedule the building. I don't think it's overly burdensome to ask the youth to subscribe to two calendars for their stake events.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

wford wrote:I know I could create a Stake Combined Youth Activity Calendar, but I would rather have it just show up on both of the other ones.
This is the best way for combined youth activities. Its just one more layer a person has to select for their individual calendar.
wford wrote:The automatic reminders are really nice for people and I would like anyone subscribed to either calendar to get a reminder (and see the event).
Note: Just because someone has subscribed to a calendar does not mean they will receive a reminder email.

Two things have to happen for the email to be received.

1st, the individual must select the box "Allow email reminders for this calendar" under subscriptions.

2nd, the person adding the event must have selected the box "Send an email about this event" .
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

I think you need to look at how many events are actually on each calendar, and the nature of those activities. We started out with a Stake YM Calendar and a Stake YW calendar, but found it simpler to combine them into one calendar: "Stake YM/YW Calendar."

Not that many people subscribe to only one calendar or the other, and frankly, there just wasn't enough activity on both calendars to justify two. In this case, one calendar worked out better for us.

And most stake activities are combined activities anyway.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TinMan wrote:In this case, one calendar worked out better for us.
Maybe for the leaders, but what about for the users? I'm not sure as the youth would subscribe using their personal devices if the half of the events on the calendar didn't apply to them. Seems to me it would be to the church's advantage to have as many youth as possible subscribe to the appropriate calendars. That way the church events are likely to be on their calendar before school/club/other social events try to schedule their activities.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

russellhltn wrote: Maybe for the leaders, but what about for the users? I'm not sure as the youth would subscribe using their personal devices if the half of the events on the calendar didn't apply to them.
As I said: In our stake, most Stake Youth activities are joint activities. I can think of a Laurel awards night that only applies to Laurels once a year, but that is about it.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Edit adding: I did think of a second activity: The Stake has a yearly scout activity just for the boys. So two activities a year that are gender exclusive, far less than "half" in our case.

Edit a second time: In our case, it would probably be better to have the two calendars be, "Stake Activities for 14 and older" and "Stake activities for deacons and beehives" since age is more of a limiting factor than gender. (Stake dances, trek, and so on.)

But for us, one calender works for the 12 or 14 activities they have a year.

Return to “Calendar”