Preferred names not showing in directory in Europe?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
markbentham

Preferred names not showing in directory in Europe?

Post by markbentham »

Have been trying to find out why preferred names aren't showing in our stake directory in Sweden. I found this thread https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?6691-Official-name-vs-Preferred-name where the same problem seems to be apparent in the UK.

Is there any solution or answer to why it is this way?
It's really annoying and makes it sometimes hard to find the right person in the directory when full names are showing in the directory.

Thanky you for your help.
Mark
svenl

LDS Church Directory

Post by svenl »

markbentham wrote: Is there any solution or answer to why it is this way?
It's really annoying and makes it sometimes hard to find the right person in the directory when full names are showing in the directory.
As we now are working in the Stockholm Sweden Stake also to have (all) members use the online directory and calendars this problem must be solved a.s.a.p.

Can we get some sort of feedback from an administrator or technician working with this?

/Sven
:cool:
simonawright

Post by simonawright »

To make things even more puzzling the calling information that can be viewed on LDS.org uses the preferred name and yet, as you say, we don't get preferred names on the directories. I would have hoped that a consistent approach would have been adopted.

I have asked our local office for a reason and haven't had a reply so far, there might not be a simple answer.....
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

This forum is primarily user-to-user help. While we do have some church employees who visit (and we really appreciate the ones that do), there's no guarantee that your concerns will be seen by someone in a position to do anything about it.

I'd suggest using the "feedback" link on the main lds.org site. Information submitted that way will eventually get to the right people. If you have the opportunity, sending the information up the "chain of command" or via your area office couldn't hurt.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

The directory app should only be using the preferred name, unless it is not available. I'm not sure why that would be any different based on location.

If one of you can send me some additional information, I can look into why you are not getting the preferred names.

Send me the info I need by:
- Logging in to the directory
- Go to this URL: https://lds.org/header
- Copy the information on the resulting page and paste it into a private message to me (click on my username on this post, and select 'Private Message')

Also, along with the info from the above URL, if you can also send me the name of a household as a specific example where you don't see the preferred name.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

Thanks to those who sent their info on this. Sure enough, the service that provides household info to the directory is sending along the full name in the preferred name field. But only for users in certain countries. We are working with the developers of that service to find out what the issue is. A fix will be in place as soon as we can get it in the pipeline.
markbentham

Re: Preferred names not showing in directory in Europe?

Post by markbentham »

Bump. Still only full names displaying. Any information on a fix?
soeren

Printing not the full name

Post by soeren »

Hello,
If you print the directory it shows your full name. With full name i mean Sören David Johann Müller. Lots of our members don't want that on that list there is their whole name but just Sören Lex. Is there a way to set it up that i can just print it like that?
Thank you!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Printing not the full name

Post by aebrown »

[Moderator note: I moved this post to the existing topic for the issue.]
soeren wrote:If you print the directory it shows your full name.
As you can see from the other posts in this topic, this problem only affects certain countries in Europe. Although it was reported in 2011, it appears that it continues to be a problem. I'll see if I can get an engineer to look at it.
Biggles

Re: Printing not the full name

Post by Biggles »

aebrown wrote:[Moderator note: I moved this post to the existing topic for the issue.]
soeren wrote:If you print the directory it shows your full name.
As you can see from the other posts in this topic, this problem only affects certain countries in Europe. Although it was reported in 2011, it appears that it continues to be a problem. I'll see if I can get an engineer to look at it.
That would be much appreciated, by all of us affected, by this annoying anomaly!

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”