Missionaries seeing the ward directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
mevans

Missionaries seeing the ward directory

Post by mevans »

In a thread by missionary terrykeyes on the Calendar forum, we got some indication that he has access to the online ward directory for the ward in which he's serving.

We had the missionaries over at our house today and I asked them about this. One of the sisters said she accidentally went to the wrong place on lds.org and saw a ward directory for our ward (where she's serving). She got out immediately because it's not a place she was supposed to be. The elders and sisters in our ward said the only thing they can do online is mormon.org and email their families; they haven't been given instruction in anything else yet.

So...maybe this ward directory access is already built and the missionaries haven't been given instructions how to use it yet? Perhaps some missions are starting to give instructions on using additional tools and we'll see this roll out soon?
GrasseDD

Re: Missionaries seeing the ward directory

Post by GrasseDD »

That might be the case--I noticed that the full-time missionaries assigned to my ward are named in the online ward directory. Not in the list of households, but under "Missionary". That tells me that their LDS Account is somehow associated with the ward, and what you say makes sense, looking down the road.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

GrasseDD wrote:I noticed that the full-time missionaries assigned to my ward are named in the online ward directory. ... That tells me that their LDS Account is somehow associated with the ward...
Missionaries serving in a ward have been in the Directory for quite some time. It is the responsibility of the Mission Area office to keep that up to date. It is not automatic. The programming to display the missionaries names in the Directory for the ward the missionaries are serving in may be related to accessing tools for the ward they are serving in, but the access to ward tools like Directory and Calendar involves more programming than displaying the names. Displaying missionary names did not require LDS Account data.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

jdlessley wrote:The access to ward tools like Directory and Calendar involves more programming than displaying the names. Displaying missionary names did not require LDS Account data.
Thanks, JD--that's good to know. It sounds like the mission office simply types it in after each transfer? (Unless with the word "did" you're implying that it may have changed.)
jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jeffevannelson »

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”