Can Stake Clerk see all ward calendars in stake?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
ryantoldroyd

Can Stake Clerk see all ward calendars in stake?

Post by ryantoldroyd »

I'm a stake clerk and have run into a few scheduling issues when planning a stake event due to a conflict with a ward activity for a ward in the stake. Is there a way for the stake clerk to have access to see all of the ward calendars within the stake? Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Can Stake Clerk see all ward calendars in stake?

Post by aebrown »

Sort of. You can't see other wards' calendars, but in Week View you can see any events that are scheduled for any of the buildings in your stake, even if they are on calendars you can't otherwise see. Follow the instructions in the help topic Scheduling Events under "Check Location Availability." This technique won't work for seeing events that are scheduled for some other location (e.g., a temple trip or welfare assignment), but it will let you see most events.
ryantoldroyd

Post by ryantoldroyd »

Ok. I got that far, but only two wards in our stake use the building reservation functionality so I was hoping to all those other events that do not have a building reservation associated with them. Thanks.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

ryantoldroyd wrote:Ok. I got that far, but only two wards in our stake use the building reservation functionality so I was hoping to all those other events that do not have a building reservation associated with them. Thanks.
If they are not using the calendar to schedule their event as well as Booking/Reserving the building. What are they doing?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:If they are not using the calendar to schedule their event as well as Booking/Reserving the building. What are they doing?
In one building, we still have a building scheduler who does not own a computer and uses a notebook. In another building, there is one online calendar, a Building Use calendar, where everything is scheduled.

I suspect that variations on this theme are done in more places than just here. The intended concept of distributed calendaring and scheduling has not yet arrived in this corner of the vineyard. [sigh]
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

lajackson wrote:In one building, we still have a building scheduler who does not own a computer and uses a notebook. In another building, there is one online calendar, a Building Use calendar, where everything is scheduled.
Looks like its time for some changes to happen. It will start with the Stake Using the on line calendar for everything and letting the wards know they need to put their events into the online calendar. Then its time for some Training, Training and more Training to help the wards learn the new system and understand the new concept of scheduling. The wards need to know that the building is not scheduled unless the event is in the online system. This will be a big adjustment for all but if some guidelines and expectations are established within the stake as a whole, the Black Sheep will have to follow.
lajackson wrote:I suspect that variations on this theme are done in more places than just here. The intended concept of distributed calendaring and scheduling has not yet arrived in this corner of the vineyard. [sigh]
The concept is there, the tools are established, you just need to cut down the wild fruit so the tame fruit will flourish.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:Looks like its time for some changes to happen.
. . . This will be a big adjustment for all but if some guidelines and expectations are established within the stake as a whole, the Black Sheep will have to follow.
Actually, agency does not require them to follow. [grin]

However, the new calendar system has led to some real tragedies that the stake president is not willing to repeat. We have long distances to travel in our stake, and we do not need families showing up at the stake center at 8:00 pm on a Sunday evening for a 6:00 pm fireside, and then having to drive the hour and a half home again after helping to fold up chairs. (And that is just a minor one.)

So our stake president has chosen to wait a season. I think if the time zone and daylight saving time issues were resolved, he might consider another attempt.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

lajackson wrote:Actually, agency does not require them to follow. [grin]
Yes, however the first time an organization shows up thinking they had the building scheduled when they did not bother to schedule their event on the online calendar and book the building. And someone else who had their event on the calendar are using the building instead there will be a quick learning curve.

Almost happened this past weekend with a Multi Stake YSA activity in our building. Luckily the young sister in charge of the event took time to look at the calendar and saw their event was not scheduled and someone else had the building. They were able to move their event to another building other wise it could have been a disaster.
lajackson wrote:However, the new calendar system has led to some real tragedies that the stake president is not willing to repeat. We have long distances to travel in our stake, and we do not need families showing up at the stake center at 8:00 pm on a Sunday evening for a 6:00 pm fireside, and then having to drive the hour and a half home again after helping to fold up chairs. (And that is just a minor one.)

So our stake president has chosen to wait a season. I think if the time zone and daylight saving time issues were resolved, he might consider another attempt.
I could see where there could be some real problems especially if you stake covered to different time zones, which apparently yours does.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:However, the new calendar system has led to some real tragedies that the stake president is not willing to repeat. We have long distances to travel in our stake, and we do not need families showing up at the stake center at 8:00 pm on a Sunday evening for a 6:00 pm fireside, and then having to drive the hour and a half home again after helping to fold up chairs. (And that is just a minor one.)
I hope that story was shared with the area rep.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”