Events shown in week view when not selected

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
techgy
Community Moderators

Events shown in week view when not selected

Post by techgy »

techgy wrote:Thanks to all. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me :)
I've noticed that when the week view is used that there are often events that show up even though no calendars are selected and no locations are selected.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Events shown in week view when not selected

Post by aebrown »

[Moderator note: I split this topic out from What's the best way to... because it deals with a separate issue.]
techgy wrote:I've noticed that when the week view is used that there are often events that show up even though no calendars are selected and no locations are selected.
Hmm. I've never seen that, and I just tested it and no events appeared when I deselected all calendars and locations.

Do the events show up with a colored background, or a gray background? That could help you determine if they are coming from the location or from a calendar. Do you use the "Hide all calendars" link at the bottom of the "Subscribed Calendars" section to hide the calendars, or click them individually? Do you see any pattern to the events that are shown?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't see that either. The only thing I can think of is that you do have something selected, but it's scrolled up or down so that you don't see it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

techgy wrote:
techgy wrote:Thanks to all. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me :)
I've noticed that when the week view is used that there are often events that show up even though no calendars are selected and no locations are selected.
I've replicated this as well but I haven't yet figured out what is common about the events that are shown.

To replicate I went to the Week view, unchecked all calendars and all locations. At this point the calendar was blank. I closed the calendar and reopened it and some events were showing even though nothing was checked. Checking and unchecking the associated location did not cause them to disappear but checking and unchecking their calendar did make them disappear.

In some ways it acts similar to the v2.5 select visible calendars issue but the there is obviously some different trigger for which events show.

I'm going to try to isolate what is common about the events that still show up.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

eblood66 wrote:I'm going to try to isolate what is common about the events that still show up.
As far as I can tell it's showing all events on calendars that I'm subscribed to which have a location selected. Events on checked calendars show up with the color of the calendar. Events from unchecked calendars show up as white. The events from unchecked calendars only show up for calendars that were unchecked when I opened the calendar. Unchecking the calendar (or checking and then unchecking) during the same session hides them as it should.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Now I see it too.
eblood66 wrote:In some ways it acts similar to the v2.5 select visible calendars issue but the there is obviously some different trigger for which events show.
It appears the difference is that in month view, you can "fix" the problem by making sure that no location is selected in week view.

But in week view - that doesn't help. All events that lie on the intersection of subscribed calendars with locations are displayed when you first enter the calendar.

As such, I believe it's the same bug - the view is not initializing properly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

At least I know that I'm not seeing things. I've been too busy to spend any time in analysis of this "bug", so thanks to those who did.

I have a meeting this coming Tuesday with a member of a ward bishopric to help them create and manage a building calendar. This would involve the use of the "Restrictions" feature and the "Week" view for other wards in the building. When I attempted to use the week view is when I discovered the problem.

It should be interesting in showing off a feature with bugs in it.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

I wish this would get fixed. It continues to cause a lot of confusion in my stake especially for non-technical folks who have a hard time with the online calendar to begin with!

I'll continue to spam the submit feedback link every week and would encourage anyone who would like this fixed to do the same.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

dshepher wrote:I wish this would get fixed. It continues to cause a lot of confusion in my stake especially for non-technical folks who have a hard time with the online calendar to begin with!

I'll continue to spam the submit feedback link every week and would encourage anyone who would like this fixed to do the same.
I would agree that it's frustrating, but "spamming" the feedback link won't speed things up. I'm sure that the programmers are aware of the problem. We (and me) just need to be patient.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

I was kind of kidding about spamming the feedback link. :o I should have been more clear. My apologies. Just intended that perhaps if more people provided official feedback that the issue may gain greater visibility.

Return to “Calendar”