Moving Bookmark to Next Chapter?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
kinghoju

Moving Bookmark to Next Chapter?

Post by kinghoju »

I love to read the scriptures online at my computer and love that everything syncs with the Gospel Library app on my phone. But try as I might, I can't figure out how to move a given bookmark to the next chapter. When I'm done with whatever I'm reading for the day I'd like to be able to move my "daily reading" bookmark to my current position. But the only way I can do this is by creating a brand new bookmark and then going to the old one and deleting it. Suffice to say it gets a little bit tedious to do this every day. You are able to drag it up and down (very nice feature) within the same chapter, but from what I can see there's no way to move it on to the next chapter.

On the iPhone app this is very easy--you open the little bookmark menu and you're instructed to tap and hold the bookmark to update its location. Very convenient and works well. But typically I'd much rather read the scriptures at my computer (bigger screen, keyboard etc) than on my phone and I really can't figure out how to update the bookmark's position without deleted it and just creating a new one. Am I missing something?

Any help/tips would be appreciated! Thanks!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Moving Bookmark to Next Chapter?

Post by sbradshaw »

I haven't used the bookmarks feature on LDS.org but when I opened it up I don't see any way to create a new bookmark – only to edit the ones created in Gospel Library. I imagine they're still in the process of adding Gospel Library functionality in... Didn't see any way to move the bookmark to the next chapter either.
kinghoju

Post by kinghoju »

When signed in on LDS.org and go to the scriptures, down at the bottom of the page is a grey bar. It might be hidden in which case you click the small arrow on the bottom-left of the page. There is a bookmark button and it is easy to add bookmarks. Its also easy to visit the bookmark by just clicking on it. They also sync with the Gospel Library app. The issue, however, is they cannot be updated--or at least I can't figure out how to do it. The best method I've found is to delete them and make a new bookmark with the same name. But this is really inconvenient and awkward. On the app its quite simple to update/edit a bookmark, but I can't figure out how to do the same through the website. Any one else have any advice/suggestions?
gregbishop

Post by gregbishop »

I have noticed the same challenge / inability to move bookmarks on LDS.org. I end up going to my Android device to update bookmarks after studying from my personal computer. It isn't ideal but it beats re-creating my bookmarks each day. I have one for my priesthood lesson, another for my sunday school lesson, one for me personal scripture reading and another for my family scripture reading.
brettonw

Post by brettonw »

Someone at LDS.org really needs to fix this. It's been a problem for quite some time. I've been reading my scriptures online for a while now and this is definitely my biggest frustration. Please fix!! :(
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

brettonw wrote:Someone at LDS.org really needs to fix this.
If you have not done so already, then submit feedback using the LDS.org feedback link. This forum is primarily user to user support. We do have church employees visit the forums from time to time, but there is no requirement for them to do so. Even those employees who do visit may not be in a position to do anything about a problem.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
herbderby

Post by herbderby »

The feedback link is not functioning on LDS.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

herbderby wrote:The feedback link is not functioning on LDS.org.
What do you mean by "not functioning"? I just went to the home page of LDS.org, clicked on Feedback in the footer, and it brought up the feedback form as expected. I was able to submit feedback as well.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

From the How To Guide for Study Notebook:

Your Notes and Journal bookmarks sync to the Gospel Library iOS and Android apps. However, the concept of bookmarks differs slightly between Notes and Journal and the apps. On Notes and Journal, bookmarks are links to your favorite articles, so the feature aligns more with social bookmarking tools (such as Delicious). In the apps, however, bookmarks are more like placeholders to remind yourself where you left off reading. They aren't intended to hold dozens of links.
Online bookmarks function like a favorites button on your browser, but mobile bookmarks act like a bookmark in a book you are reading.
esfaulkner7@gmail.com

Post by esfaulkner7@gmail.com »

I have found that there is no need to delete the existing bookmark. Rather, you just create a new bookmark named the same as the existing bookmark that you would like to update, and it will update the existing bookmark. Still a lame work around, hopefully they will figure out something better.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”