Supporting High Counciler

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
lewiswf1

Supporting High Counciler

Post by lewiswf1 »

My HC is asking me to provide them with access to the MLS from his log in, he is in a different ward of course. Do I need to have his ward create a out of unit record so that he can show up in our system which will then allow him to access our records and do exports, etc?

Thanks,
Wayne
drepouille

Re: Supporting High Counciler

Post by drepouille »

He should have everything he needs in the Directory on lds.org. He should not be given an out-of-unit record, not should he have administrator privileges.

If for some reason you do create an account for him in your ward MLS, which privileges are you planning to grant to him?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lewiswf1 wrote:My HC is asking me to provide them with access to the MLS...
They can ask, but until you receive instruction from your bishop, or possibly from the stake president, there is no reason or authority to grant that access. And personally I see no reason to grant such access since they are not serving in the ward. See the article "Create an Out of Unit Record" in the Membership section of RKATS.
lewiswf1 wrote:Do I need to have his ward create a out of unit record so that he can show up in our system which will then allow him to access our records and do exports, etc?
An out of unit member record, a temporary record, needs to be created in the ward MLS (your ward's installation of MLS). See the article "Create an Out of Unit Record" in the Membership section of RKATS for the procedure to create an out of unit record. Once the out of unit record exists in your ward's installation of MLS then the out of unit member's name will be available to create a user profile.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lewiswf1

Post by lewiswf1 »

Ok, thanks for the feedback, I'll just provide occasional data as needed for him.

Thanks so much,
Wayne
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I can't think of much reason to give him MLS access, but what are people's thoughts about entering a high councilor as an out-of-unit member in a ward where he is assigned? In Provo YSA stakes especially, the high councilors are very involved in the wards – at the stake's request – attending ward council meetings, ward activities, etc. My high councilor would like, specifically, to be able to see the ward calendar, newsletter, and lesson schedules. There isn't any way yet for non-ward members to see this info (high councilors and missionaries are two groups that could really benefit from this).
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sbradshaw wrote:I can't think of much reason to give him MLS access, but what are people's thoughts about entering a high councilor as an out-of-unit member in a ward where he is assigned?
Personally I think that's reasonable, at least in some cases. However, the difficulty is that you must also give them a standard calling in the ward in order to get access to the online tools for the ward. I'm not sure what standard calling would be appropriate. For a YSA ward, perhaps the Young Adult Adviser calling would do.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Would it work to make an out-of-unit record for him in both the stake and ward MLS? That way he could remain in his High Councilor calling (stake level) if he changes assignment to a different ward...
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sbradshaw wrote:Would it work to make an out-of-unit record for him in both the stake and ward MLS? That way he could remain in his High Councilor calling (stake level) if he changes assignment to a different ward...
Yes, he should still have an out-of-unit record in the stake MLS with the calling of High Councilor. If the stake clerk is keeping things up to date that should already be in place. The out-of-unit record in the ward and the ward calling shouldn't interfere with the stake calling.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”