Seeing Members in Overlay Units

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
mevans

Seeing Members in Overlay Units

Post by mevans »

Where we live, there are at least 7 units in 4 different stakes that someone could legitimately belong to (probably more) while living within our "conventional English-speaking family ward" boundaries. We sometimes run into these members who belong to other units. It would be great to know they are there. We know about a few of them, but I'm sure there are more. I wish maps would show this information. It would be nice to know this...especially when preparing for emergencies, etc.

I'm sure there are some kind of privacy issues to deal with. Maybe give members a choice to share their locations with overlay units or something like that.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Seeing Members in Overlay Units

Post by sbradshaw »

This information is very handy for missionaries to have, too.
mevans

Re: Seeing Members in Overlay Units

Post by mevans »

sbradshaw wrote:This information is very handy for missionaries to have, too.
Yes, it would be good for missionaries, too. As you mention it, I'm thinking also that some of these overlay units have boundaries that cross mission boundaries, so you might have missionaries from an overlay unit going outside of mission boundaries to teach people who are in their unit. We've seen missionaries at the same place who are serving in different missions...kind of strange, but I suppose the mission presidents must have that figured out.
FMeese

Directory and Map views

Post by FMeese »

As a Senior Missionary Couple my wife and I are Out of Unit members of two wards. However when we look at those directories and maps we only see a handful of members. In the 5% range. A member of the stake presidency has shown me his lists and maps and all are there. Do you know what I can do to see all members on maps and directory? I am also listed as the Ward Mission Leader in one ward but it doesn't make any difference.
Thanks for your assistance.
Fred Meese
eblood66

Re: Directory and Map views

Post by eblood66 »

FMeese wrote:As a Senior Missionary Couple my wife and I are Out of Unit members of two wards. However when we look at those directories and maps we only see a handful of members. In the 5% range. A member of the stake presidency has shown me his lists and maps and all are there. Do you know what I can do to see all members on maps and directory? I am also listed as the Ward Mission Leader in one ward but it doesn't make any difference.
Thanks for your assistance.
Fred Meese
You didn't say where you are serving. In certain areas of the world (for example, in most of Europe) the default setting is to only allow leaders to see member information unless a member explicitly changes the setting to allow other members to see their information. This is due to privacy laws in those areas. The leaders who can see additional information is limited to the stake presidency (including clerks and exec. sec) and bishoprics (including clerks and exec sec.) or equivalent leaders in districts and branches.

If you are in such an area the only way to see more information is to get members to change their settings or to get called as a clerk.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”