Settling old missionary accounts

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
hoosier4life

Settling old missionary accounts

Post by hoosier4life »

We have 2 members who have been back from their missions for over 2 years. We are still getting reports of shortages in their accounts. Their families state they donated monies into their accounts. These family members live in different states. How do I find out what monies were put into their accounts and how to reconcile these deficits?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Settling old missionary accounts

Post by russellhltn »

Who is managing the account? It seems odd that this would go on for two years.

The other question is how much money is at the "root" level of the missionary account? Has anyone checked to see if perhaps some of the donations were categorized? Perhaps a transfer is in order to zero it out.

Someone needs to dig into the details.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

If these members have been home for more than two years then it's possible that some of the data has already been deleted from MLS due to the "retention period" having passed for that time. Also, the transition to CUBS likely happened while they were serving as full-time missionaries and, if your ward's records were affected the way our ward's records were affected, it is almost impossible to reconstruct some of the missionary donation data pre-CUBS. (Certain data was impossible to recover at the moment the CUBS transition took place, not to mention the years that have passed since then.) If you didn't print out certain reports before the CUBS transition you were in trouble trying to sort things out after the transition.

So what I'm really saying is you might just have to examine any excess funds in the Ward Missionary Account that aren't earmarked for any given missionary and use them to zero out these sub-categories for returned missionaries. Any attempt to investigate such old details and find out the real history is probably futile. (And I hope you didn't recently give a whole bunch of excess funds to the stake or to CHQ thinking it was excess but it was really needed to clear up this problem.)
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Hoosier4life wrote:We have 2 members who have been back from their missions for over 2 years. We are still getting reports of shortages in their accounts. Their families state they donated monies into their accounts. These family members live in different states. How do I find out what monies were put into their accounts and how to reconcile these deficits?
At this point all you should do is reconcile the deficits by transferring funds from the parent ward account to these individual account and zero them out. Its not worth the hard feelings that may arise due to seems to be poor management by the clerks of the accounts. zero the accounts out, then you can close them and move on to more important issues. I usually do this transfer and zeroing out of missionary account after two months of them being home.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”