System User Trouble

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
scoclerk

System User Trouble

Post by scoclerk »

I am clerk in my branch. An auditor discovered my financial assistant had too many permissions. We attempted to remove the inappropriate permission and failed. To expedite things, we simply removed the assistant for the time being. Since then, I have tried to restore him every way I can think of. I even had the branch president log in to try. I tried to find a way to delete him and start fresh but no one ever entered into our unit MLS as a user can be deleted, apparently. We cannot restore him. I have repeatedly asked SLC and the stake for help but get no response. Please help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: System User Trouble

Post by russellhltn »

scoclerk wrote:An auditor discovered my financial assistant had too many permissions.
It's possible it's related to [BUG] Elevated user privileges.

scoclerk wrote:We attempted to remove the inappropriate permission and failed.
Anyone who has done finances can't be removed from the system until the retention period for those transactions have expired. In the US, that's at the 4th year mark. The best you can do is deactivate him.

scoclerk wrote:To expedite things, we simply removed the assistant for the time being. Since then, I have tried to restore him every way I can think of. I even had the branch president log in to try. I tried to find a way to delete him and start fresh but no one ever entered into our unit MLS as a user can be deleted, apparently. We cannot restore him.
He should still be in there - you just need to re-activate the account. See here for more detail.

scoclerk wrote:I have repeatedly asked SLC and the stake for help but get no response. Please help.
The forum is primarily user-to-user help. I'd suggest calling support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

scoclerk wrote:I am clerk in my branch. An auditor discovered my financial assistant had too many permissions.
It is not auditor decision on who has what permissions in MLS. Its the Bishops decision, or in the case of the ward I live in he has delegated that responsibility to the clerks.

As ward finance clerk I have full administrative permissions, due to I'm the one most familiar with MLS and how it works. While our Bishop and Ward Clerk also full administrative permissions they prefer I handle all the administrative details in the system.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scoclerk wrote:An auditor discovered my financial assistant had too many permissions.
The auditor may be well-meaning, but this was not a part of the audit. The auditor only needs to ask if MLS usernames and passwords are properly protected. He does not need to know anything at all about permissions.

That said, as others have explained, you should be able to reactivate the login, and the problem the auditor discovered may be related to the bug mentioned two posts ago.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

There was a question about permissions on the membership record audit, I believe.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

drepouille wrote:There was a question about permissions on the membership record audit, I believe.
Yes, the annual membership audit does ask you to review each MLS user to see if they have the appropriate permissions. But it says nothing about exactly what those permissions should be; as has been said previously, that is the bishop's (or stake president's) decision.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:There was a question about permissions on the membership record audit, I believe.
Ah, I was referring to the financial audit questions, sorry. But aebrown got it sorted out.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

aebrown wrote:But it says nothing about exactly what those permissions should be; as has been said previously, that is the bishop's (or stake president's) decision.
Agreed. In one unit, the ward clerk argued that his EQP and HPGL should have permission to update membership records, since they visit families and collect new addresses and phone numbers. The bishop apparently supported his ward clerk, so I did not argue the point.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

drepouille wrote:Agreed. In one unit, the ward clerk argued that his EQP and HPGL should have permission to update membership records, since they visit families and collect new addresses and phone numbers. The bishop apparently supported his ward clerk, so I did not argue the point.
The only problem I see with this practice is they would also have the ability to access membership records. The handbook is very specific on who can have access to membership records, the list is very limited and does not include the EQP and HPGL.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”